Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens flanaganae division

Posted by mark4321 9b CA Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 23:12

I just bought an Impatiens flanaganae and divided it up. I thought I'd post the pictures in case anyone is curious what it looks like.

I got the plant at Annie's Annuals and Perennials in Richmond, CA. I think there may have been one or two more, but you really have to dig in the back under the benches to find them. When I bought it, the employee was not aware it was being sold. It was $19.95 in a 1 gallon pot. The pot was severely distorted by the tubers.

Impatiens flanaganae from Annie's Annuals

My initial hope was to remove the growth on the left with a bit of tuber, and also separate the small almost spherical tuber at about 2 o'clock (this also has a tiny shoot). My original plan was to replant the other big shoot and the bulk of the tubers into a big pot...

Here are a few views of the plant once I cut the pot away:

Impatiens flanaganae unpotted, 3 views

Unfortunately the pieces did not break apart as I planned. Here's what I got:

Impatiens flanaganae in pieces

The pieces numbered 1,7 and 8 all have tubers plus shoots, as does the small tuber number 5. The separated new growth (number 2) has roots, so hopefully all 5 of those will make it.

I doubt the shoot fragments (3,4,6) will survive, but I'm willing to be surprised...

It will be interesting to see whether the tubers without obvious growth (numbers 9 and 10) will send out shoots. If so I could get as many as 7 plants out of this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens flanaganae division

I just wanted to follow up with a picture of the divided plants. 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10 all grew. I split 9 and 10 up further when they showed signs of life. I ended up with 10 or 11 plants so far. I gave one away (a bigger one) which is not shown in the picture below:

Impatiens flanaganae May 30

These guys look like they would like more sun, and I'm in the process of relocating them. It's really hard to believe that all of that fit in a 1 gallon pot (the pot in the upper right is 1 gallon, for comparison).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here