Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nberg7

Micro-Mini Impatiens?

nberg7
17 years ago

I don't know if I just missed these before, but I bought one of those "color bowl" pots at a box store today because it appeared to me that amongst all the various plants were these tiny, tiny flowered impatiens. This bowl came with both white and light pink and I know I'll have to try and propagate. Anyone else growing these?

-Nan

Comments (8)

• MrImpatiens
    17 years ago

These are hard to find here in my area. I am told they are true Impatiens walleriana just a drawf form. I have seen a couple of lines of these one called Firefly and the other Pixie. They are all related to the Mini Hawaii series that had bicolored flowers. The bad thing about these is that they are hard to over winter.

• nberg7
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll try and post some photos here soon of them. And yes, they are identical to walleriana, including the seed pod- everything is just smaller. I'd say the flower head is about the size of a Bacopa would be. I really love the way they look!
    -Nan

• nberg7
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here are a couple of comparison photos on the size of these minis (white and pink)- they're currently paired with a double red (normal size,) and looking pretty straggely due to propagation cuttings.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

I have the red pixie and so far it's looking good. It was pretty pitiful when I first planted it, but well enough now that I just took some cuttings off of it.

• billandbev_tds_net
    12 years ago

I havee a pink one and a purple one. I did not see any of
    them last year. I haave propagated them for several years. I have seen other colors.

• hwgang
    9 years ago

I would give my eye teeth if someone had any firefly impatiens to share. I have grown them for years and years and wintered them over in the house. Every once in a while something would happen and I'd buy all new stock each spring...and then they were discontinued! I have searched and searched. I miss my old friends dearly. I'd love any/all colors, but white, pink and red in that order are my most missed. I do all manner of miniature gardens and these were low-light tolerant GEMS. Thank you so much for any consideration.

• fishdork74
    7 years ago

Help! I purchased a Mini Impatiens yesterday and foolishly left it where my puppy could get it (she's a climber and quick!). Needless to say, she chewed it up. I have stalks saved and the root ball has the main stem where there is about a cm left with 2 tiny leaves. I read here that people are taking cuttings to propagate so I hope someone can help. I replanted the root ball with stem and took the other stems, dusted their bases with rooting powder and planted them in moist soil. Will that save some of them?

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource