Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner : Crossing,..

Posted by ellwing France (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 04 at 7:45

Hello

I wondered if I could try to cross an I. niamniamensis with an I.auricoma.
As I live in France and can t manage to find an area to buy new impatiens, I want to cross the some I have.

As I m not an expert in cellular botanic, can you give me some advice???

-How can i do to avoid taht the stalk that carry the flower don t fall? I noted that it was very fragile and when you "touch" the flowers in order to put "sexual powder", the whole (stalk, flowers and ovary) fall down on the floor.

-Is there great results for somebody who has never tried to cross plants?

Thanks a lot.....

If somebody wants to share species, you can contact me...

Camille. (22years old, France)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner : Crossing,..

Camille
niamniamensis and auricoma wont cross naturally sadly. It needs to be done in a lab. Now some good news is that there is a cross floating around out there. There was a guy back in the 70's named Toru Arisumi that did a lot of breeding in the lab. He crossed a number of species to see what he would get some 50 or so. Sadly he has passed on but the Impatiens Seashells were orginally done by him. This were remade by his friend Ron Parker who is still doing some breeding.

o
RE: Beginner : Crossing,..

Thanks for the informations.
"It needs to be done in a lab"...but, can I try to do it by myself, ; get pollen on one and put it in another...afterwards, wrapped the flower ans tawe seeds.???

Camille.

o
RE: : Crossing,....

Sorry
afterwards, wrapped the flower " and take seeds",. Much better written like this!
Camille.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here