Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soinspired_gw

First success in growing from seed!

soinspired
13 years ago

I just had to share with you my "small" success in germinating impatient seeds for the first time. I had two packets of seed to start but only 15 seedlings developed. Happy to say those 15 seedlings are now healthy little plants in the ground. I am so amazed as they are so delicate but are loving all this rain we have been receiving. Additionally, I started about 8 plants from cuttings from the fall. They are all planted in an antique wheelbarrow and also doing well. One of these small plants had a stem break off while transplanting. I just put it in a small cup of water and within a week, it has roots of at least one inch long. This is just my second year of starting different kinds of flower and vegetable seeds. And, I've had much success! But, a lot of trial and error too. Very satisfying hobby.

Comments (6)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Congrats. I grow all my Impatiens from seed. I used to grow them from cuttings. They were fine for the first 10 years or so and then the dreaded spider mites found my Impatiens. I tried everything but I got tired of fighting them and went to growing from seed. The first year I didn't have near the luck you did, but I finally learned how to grow them successfully.

I grow the Tempo series because they are the earliest. I buy my seed from Stokes seeds--$7.65 for 250 seeds. The cheapest seed I've found. The seed is always good and germinates well--just in case you want to grow more. They do ship to the States. I have dealt with Stokes for 30 years and can vouch for them as a good place to order from.

By the way the best way to grow Impatiens from cuttings is to put the cuttings right into the soil. Cut below a leaf--the roots come from a leaf node. Strip off the bottom leaves, dip in rooting compound, dibble a hole in moistened soilless mix, slip in the cutting and cover it in. In a week or so you will notice new growth and you will know your cutting has started to make roots. Leave for a couple of weeks until it's rooted well and then you can harden off and plant outside weather permitting

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I started impatiens from seed last year and didn't get very good germination. I ended up with 6 plants out of 25 seeds. Spidermites found mine too over winter inside. I kept the mites under control by rotating neem and joy dish washing liquid and water. They are now happy and healthy outside and I have managed to propagate a few more plants from cuttings.

• soinspired
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Oil Painter! I never thought of starting them in soil but have success with other plants doing this. Why didn't I think of this!? I'll definitely do this in the future. I think I must of just popped them in a jug of water than saw that they rooted so fast is why I did this. And, spider mites? Yikes! Don't think I want any of those critters. But, I'll remember the Joy dish soap. I recall my dear grandmother would wash her dishes in a large dish pan and then throw it on her garden. She said the bugs didn't like the soap!

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Watch the soap and don't put too much in--2 or 3 drops in a pint spray bottle is enough. Too much soap will burn the leaves.

Just spraying cold water helps too. Don't forget to get the undersides of the leaves because that's where they will most likely be. They hate cold and wet and love hot and dry.

The reason they are so hard to get rid of is that they hatch out every 2 to 5 days, so there is always a new batch coming along.

• sharvil6
    13 years ago

i love impatiens! They're so easy to grow from cuttings and i've gotten lucky this year with seeds
    I just have to transplant some of my seedlings to a bigger tray...someday

• soinspired
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, my impatiens did just beautifully this year. I'm so proud. And because our area has already had frost, I've taken several cuttings to start in soil. Sure hope I can get them to take root and have lots of lovely plants come spring. I've also received seed to start too. Now, just can't wait till spring!

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County