Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Parrot impatients

karyn1
17 years ago

I have some young Parrot impatients and just noticed a spider mite infestation. I washed the plants off with a fairly strong spray of water but know that won't dislodge all those nasty bugs. What can I use to get rid of them? Should I use a systemic or a contact insecticide? I really hate using chemicals but can't bear to loose these plants.

Comments (6)

• MrImpatiens
    17 years ago

I dont know of any organic miticides that are cheap for home use. Avid is good but is pricey. You can try some stuff that at the DIY stores. Garden safe is a good choice and is close to being organic. Safer and Greenlight are also pretty good.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Price isn't a concern and we have a commercial greenhouse so I can purchase from a wholesale supplier. I just want to know what the best, yet least toxic pesticde would be. Actually the daily "showers" seemed to have helped. I'll try the Avid if the problem gets out of hand again. Thanks for the info.

• lindamaurene
    17 years ago

Does anyone know where to find Impatients psittaciana? aka Parrot flower. It looks like hanging parrots. Want plant or seed. Thank you

• orchidvk
    17 years ago

Karlyn 1 I use a home remedy for most insets on my orchids. It consists of 8 oz. water, 8 oz. isophropyl alcohol, and 2 oz of a tea made from "RED MAN" chewing tobacco. The alcohol and nicotene kills instantly, and can even be sprayed directly on flowers with no ill effects.

• exoticrainforest
    17 years ago

In regard to the request for info regarding the "Impatients psittaciana", the correct spelling is Impatiens psittacina. The plant was discovered in 1899 and identified in 1901 at the Royal Botanical Garden Kew. It is quite rare even in nature. I've spent months reasearchng the plant and you can read all we've learned on our website the Exotic Rainforest. The plant is from Burma and Northern Thailand and requires a very specific soil pH. I have found only 2 people outside of Thailand who are growing the plant and neither wants to have their name published. One source tells me the plant is on display at a national botanic garden in Burma. You can find the link on our plants collection page listed under the scientific name. The site includes the original botanical drawings. Steve Lucas

Here is a link that might be useful: The Exotic Rainforest

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Impatient psittacina is very pretty. I have what's commonly called a Parrot impatient (Impatiens niamniamensis). I have a few different colors, pink & white, red & yellow and a two toned pink. The flower that's pictured isn't fully open but when they are they look just like little birds. Unfortunately they got hit with an early frost. Most are recovering slowly and hopefully they'll look good in a month or two. The only complaint I have about them is that when they are inside they're a spider mite magnet!