Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alternative to Impatiens?

Posted by TRichard1966 Z5NH (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 05 at 11:19

I love the look of Impatiens when planted in huge 'ground-cover' areas, but have neither the time, nor the money to invest each year in creating this look.

Is there a perennial alternative that would create the same look?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alternative to Impatiens?

Looking at your Zone you might be to cold. There are not any hardy perennial kind like the beding types that I am aware of. Most of the species I am familar with are Zone 6 hardy. But you could give them a try like omeiana, arguta, stenantha, longiloba. If you want showy and willing to collect seeds try balfourii. Another showy annual is glandulifera this should be hardy for you and gets very big like 6 to 8 feet tall if well watered and will seed everywhere but is easily pulled out where not wanted.

o

Portulaca, helichrysm (strawflower) and nasturtiums make for fine alternatives.

Salvia, verbena, annual phlox, marigolds also might be looked at.

o

I don't find impatiens all that expensive if planted in a large area.If you plant each plant about 18 inches apart,very few will fill a large area.If they are planted this distance apart,they will fill in but stay low to the ground.If impatiens are planted close together,they will grow tall and leggy,and in my opinion will not look as nice.I have a friend who actually measures 18 ins between each little plant and has the most glorious bed of impatiens all summer.

o

Hardy geraniums might be a good option. Some are pretty compact and uniform.......and some bloom all season....months and months.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here