Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens light requirements

Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 07 at 13:15

Hi everyone,

I apologize if the answers have been provided elsewhere but I could not find the information for all of the Impatiens species I recently purchased. Would someone take a neophyte under their wing and share their information about the requirements for light exposure, soil moisture and other soil requirements for these wonderful species?

Impatiens niamniamensis
Impatiens hians
Impatiens irvingii
Impatiens grandis

I grew I. balfourii last year, and it appears I have volunteers coming up from seeds I was not able to collect in time. I love it, I will relocate the seedlings so they are all together rather than scattered hither and yon.

I am sure that afternoon sun would kill most of these species. Is morning sun best? Will they grow well in a container? If so what size would be best? I read that I. grandis can get to 5 feet tall. My spider sense tells me that is brugmansia-size container. Thank you for helping me to understand this group.

Joseph
Wilmington, Delaware, USA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens light requirements

Joseph
Looks like you have a nice collection going. All these balsams are tender to frost. Impatiens niamniamensis grows well in a pot and in the wild will sometimes be found growing on trees. Give it a well drained mix and let it dry a little between waterings but dont let it go limp. Impatiens hians is a winter bloomer like grandis and both do well in pots.... actually they all do, if feed well enough. I have my grandis in a very large pot and it is happy (though I need to transplant it)and I have my hians in a hanging basket and doing rather well. Impatiens irvingii is very much like walleriana in looks but with narrow fuzzy leaves. You could try this one in the ground and do cuttings each year. It has been seen growing in shallow water in the wild. All would like morning sun and in a nice cool spot in the heat of the day. I personally havent tried any of my plants in the ground but I am really itching to do it, its just that my planting areas are over run with ivy and thorn bushes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here