Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magazine article

Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 08 at 13:37

There's a very well-written and beautifully illustrated article about Impatiens in the current issue of Horticulture magazine, written by some guy named "Derick Pitman". Anybody know who this dude is? ;o)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magazine article

I have no idea who the guy is but he does have a picture of himself in the contributers section. He looks like a freak but I hear he is a nice guy. Saintly even.

o

He once sent me seed for zombensis - truly a saint.

o

A saint and a genius! He once identified a rare impatiens I have. Sure wish he would remind me which one it is since I lost the sheet of paper where I wrote it down.... hint

o

trianglejohn

I think you are going to have to remind him again with some more detail. I'm sure he would be able to remember again.

o

I thought it was I. irvingii but you said it was from the Himalayas and not from Africa and that the collector (R.N. whom I do not know personally, she is a friend of a friend) had sent one to you also. Mine is blooming fine this year though I have failed to get it into the ground. In the flower bed where it grew last summer there are what appear to be seedlings (just a few). It did produce fruit last year but I never got around to collecting seed. This also happens to be the flowerbed where I scattered some I. namchabarwensis seeds I bought. They didn't sprout last spring so this years seedlings could be either type of impatiens. I am not a scientist and unlike the name of these plants I have LOTS of patience. I've been known to wait up to three years for seeds to sprout. I'm not in a hurry.

o

I "cough" he remembers now. It is Impatiens latiflora collected by Rekha Morris. It is a very beautiful Impatiens one of Mr. Impatiens favorites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here