Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spacing for impatiens

Posted by DAZED77 Z11 (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 05 at 17:00

I was wondering if the foliage fans out? What would be the ideal spacing for propagated impatiens stems?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spacing for impatiens

About 10-12" on center, e.g. between the center of one plant and the next plant.

Do not crowd impatiens .. they will grow and expand.

If you have not already done so, pinch the growing point of your impatiens cuttings.

o

Thanks for the reply..I have spaced it that much. Well I did put them into the ground some time back so I guess its too late to pinch them. They have already settled into the ground. Thanks again

o

Hi again, I guess I didn't understand wat you meant by pinching. I saw another post on another forum and they were talking about 'pinching' of young plants to have them produce more lateral branches. By pinching, do you use a clipper a snip off the entire top part of the plant i.e. below the point where the top leaves bifurcate? I have 4 propagated impatiens and they are getting tall and thin. 2 of them have buds at the top. Can I snip it off anyway? Buds and all? I have taken photos of all 4 impatiens. Can you please take a quick peek and tell me what you think? They are labelled impatiens1, impatiens 2 etc upto 4.

Here is a link that might be useful: yahoo photos

o

Dazed77
Pinching is just taking the first few leaves at the very tip of the plant. What you are talking would be considered a cutting which you could do as well. The cutting can be rerooted and start another plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here