Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help--impatiens wilting

Posted by eks6426 5b (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 04 at 17:22

Hi,

I'm having the strangest problem with my single impatiens this year. I planted several window boxes with them. The window boxes are on the north & east sides of my house and then some are inside a screened in porch. There is annual salvia and impatiens in each box. Now, my impatiens are wilting. They seem fine one day and then the next day they are laying down. The box in the porch started with one laying down and now they all are. The salvias are fine. Help! What should I do? I could rip out all the impatiens and replant but will the wilt come back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help--impatiens wilting

Probably rotting off at the base of the stem. An otherwise healthy-looking plant will keel over and obviously wilts pretty fast. I've been having terrible problems with New Guineas doing it this year. Try to keep the surface of the soil dry, don't overwater. You could also try removing the surface layer of soil and replacing with fresh stuff, or laying down a gravel mulch.

Wilting can also be caused by underwatering, too much sun, mites, or aphids. If you have an insect problem the plant can continue to wilt despite watering and eventually you end up overwatering and killing the whole thing.

o

Shrubs n bulbs, You described exactly my problem. The rot was at the base of the stem. I pulled all of them out and will try again with fresh soil. I can't see any mites or aphids and I'm pretty sure too much sun is not the problem. These are regular impatiens (not New Guineas). Do you think the wilt is contageous to my other impatiens?

o

The fungus that causes this rotting is present everywhere, but obviously letting it grow on a plant could cause more spores to be around. You can actually save plants like this by snipping them off a little above the rooted part and rooting them as cuttings, but this is a lot more trouble than just buying more trays.

o

This fungal problem can really be a pain in containers. You need enough drainage holes so the plants are not sitting in waterlogged soil for lengthy periods. Do not use garden soil at all as it is heavy and already contains a high pathogen load - use fresh soiless potting mix. Always start with a clean container and add a liquid fertilizer to your water unless it's already added to potting mix. Coninuous heavy shade will also increase the tendency toward this problem as it slows drying time. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here