Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to impatiens

Posted by jesmello z5PA (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 04 at 18:48

Hi my father just gave me a hanging basket of impatiens. Problem is I don't know how much sunlight to give it. It didn't come with a handy dandy growth instruction tag. Can anyone give me some tips? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to impatiens

Impatiens like part-shade, part sun. I put mine where they receive a few hours of morning sun, and afternoon shade. What kind of impatiens is it? New Guinea Impatiens need more sunlight than the regular Impatien walleriana.

Good luck!

o

The Hanging Baskets of Impatiens sold by many retailers tend to be packed with plants and tend to get root bound very easily. They will need to be kept well watered. Fertilize once a month with Miracle Gro or something else similar.

o

Now I have a new question. Can ants have a negative effect on my impatiens? I noticed today that several new buds had fallen off. I also noticed ants crawling around. Can I blame them for the buds? If so, is there anything I can do about them? Thanks for all the help.

o

Buds falling off can be transplant shock, or it can be overwatering. The ants are probably farming aphids on your plants and this could be hurting the plants.

o

Ants like to farm on Impatiens. Also Impatiens have small nectures that have sap that they like, sometimes you can see the stuff around the leaves. I get lots of ants on my scabrida and clarei but dont really see much aphids but they will farm on my glandulifera.

o

Another question: Will impatiens in hanging baskets come back, or are they pretty much done for when the summer is over?

o

Impatiens in hanging baskets (almost certainly I. walleriana) are frost-tender perennials. If you let them experience even a slight frost they will turn to mush. If you can overwinter them somewhere bright and frost-free then you can keep them. They make good houseplants and will flower continuously indoors without any direct sun.

o

Thanks, Shrubs N Bulbs...I had no idea that impatiens could be houseplants. I'm delighted!!!!

o

How well will the new guinea impatiens do in zone 8, east TX?

o

New Guineas are not hardy for a zone 8 or even zone 9 they are always treated as annuals. But They are great other wise.

o

Hi every body
I have one of this flower but new buds has fallen off. and only one of them has blossomed incompletely. Do you know what's the matter,please help me thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here