Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dazed77

Propagated impatiens

dazed77
18 years ago

I recently transplanted a few pink impatiens, root and all after removing the lower leaves. Do transplanted impatiens do well? I planted them in a spot where they will receive sun for a few hours of the day and shade for the rest. Oh and I live in zone 11..

Comments (11)

• MrImpatiens
    18 years ago

Keep them well watered and they should do fine. Morning sun is ok but try to keep them out of afternoon sun. They will more than likely set seed for you in your Zone. You could try different species as well in your Zone.

• Lolaaj
    18 years ago

How do you propagate impatiens from stem cuttings? Do you insert the cuttings directly into the soil or leave it in water first?

• dazed77
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Lolaaj, I actually got the plant from a friend who has a large bed of impatiens. She just pulled a few from the ground by the root. As soon as I got home I dug holes and stuck them in the soil and they caught within a few days. Not sure if you can propagate by the stem.

• Eliza_ann_ca
    18 years ago

A stem of impatiens will root in plain tap water.My mom use to do this all the time and get beautiful plants out of it.

• dazed77
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So far my propagated impatiens are doing well. Giving them part shade and water them twice a day since its so hot down here.

• paulinep
    18 years ago

One of my favorite tasks at this time of year is pinching and poking my impatiens (and coleous too) To get the impatiens nice and bushy and to keep them from getting gangly, I pinch them back to the top of a lower leaf node. With all the pinched pieces, I find nice shady moist places and "poke" each of them right into the ground. I do this with all my impatiens and make literally hundreds of new plants. By late summer, the garden is covered! I rarely throw much of this pinched plant material away. Then, of course, every plant that goes on will also throw off seeds to start the next year's batch. At the end of the season, I amuse myself just watching those spring loaded seed pods burst and propel their seeds, the slightest tap will do it for those ripened pods. It is like a small engineering marvel to see the pod design in action.
    Pauline

• dazed77
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow Pauline, now you got me excited about my impatiens. I did pinch them back. They are still young but they took the pinching pretty well. I still have those piched pieces, threw them into a bucket of water just in case they decide to root.They sort of curled up in the water..They are only about 2-3 inches long each. Would they survive if I stick them into the soil? Would I need a rooting hormone? (I would love to see a photo if you do have one taken ;-) )

• MrImpatiens
    18 years ago

Dazed77
    Check out my website mrimpatiens.com for rooting imps. The cut part should be the only part in water up to the first couple of nodes (leaf scars) the leaves should be above the water. If they sit in a bucket of water they will rot.

• paulinep
    18 years ago

When I pinch and poke, I do it right away. Pinch a whole bunch, don't even put them in water, then poke them somewhere else in the garden. Couldn't be easier. I definitely wouldn't let the whole bunch be covered up with water though, at least not for very long.
    Pauline

• EngiN117
    18 years ago

I have New Gunia Impatiens and I have pinched a few off and stuck them in the soil beside the mother plant. These are house plants and so far, two of them have rooted.
    Engi

• brademac
    18 years ago

Hi, everyone. I have great luck growing impatiens from seeds, BUT...I have found that impatiens grown inside do not make seeds, at least not in my experience. They seem to need bees. How can I pollinate my own impatiens inside so that they will make seeds over the winter...or is that possible?