Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Namchabarwensis self sewing? Please help!

Posted by PatchyJack 10a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 0:31

Hello!
I've got some Namchabarwensis seeds coming in the mail and I'm really excited to have the plant in my collection.

I've heard conflicting things about this species regarding germination, though.

Some people seem to have Namchabarwensis self sewing, while others can't get the seeds to germinate at all.
I've done some research and I'm wondering if the temperature *prior* to germination could be to blame?
Everybody seems to agree that the germination temperature is around 20 C / 70 F, but a couple of people also recommend putting the seeds in the fridge for a couple of weeks *before* trying to germinate them.

For those of you who have any experience with these seeds, good OR bad, what temperatures were they exposed to before planting?
What's the climate like where you grew the plants?
I'd be really interested to know.

Thanks so much for your help!
Cheers,
Sparkey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Namchabarwensis self sewing? Please help!

This is a choice and very rare Impatiens from Tibet. Congratulations on getting the seed. It will probably germinate without pre-chilling as it is found in deep valleys not at high altitude, but just to be on the safe side why not divide your catch and put some of the seed on damp kitchen paper in the fridge for a few weeks first?.
Although the color is unusual it is not a spectacular plant. It might be improved by pinching when it is still young, but you are a bit late to be starting it, as it is annual. Good luck - Ian

o
RE: Namchabarwensis self sewing? Please help!

Hi!
Thanks for the info!
I was thinking of chilling some seeds and not others, and since you suggested it as well, that's what I'll do.
Actually, I'm early rather than late. I live in Australia. Though everything I've read says this plant should be perennial in a mild climate like mine, so I think it'd be worth the trouble regardless. I know it's kind of leggy, but I find that refreshing compared to all the super bushy hybrids.

Thanks again!
- Sparkey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here