Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlim_gw

How to propagate N.G.I.?...exactly...

mlim
19 years ago

how exactly do you propagate new guinea impatiens??? I always see things like root in soil or water but that's all they say... Do you just get a cup, fill it with water and just stick the cuttings in?? and how much water should you put? do you mix things with the water??

and when you do it in soil, do you just stick the cutting in the soil?

Please help me and give me a step by step procedure... thanks

Comments (4)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    19 years ago

Chop off a stem, preferably without flowers or buds. Remove the lower leaves. Place in a small container of water so that the lower stem is submerged but the leaves are out of the water. Keep in a bright but not sunny spot at a normal indoor room temperature. 2-3 weeks later you should see roots. Plant in a well-drained soil and make sure it isn't too wet. New Guineas with no roots are very prone to rot.

In soil, place the cut stem in well-drained soil and again make sure it isn't too wet. You might need to cover with plastic to stop if wilting. Too dry and the cutting will die, too wet and it will rot. Strangely enough, cuttings in water don't seem to rot for ages.

• kdjoergensen
    19 years ago

This is how I do it:

Cut a piece of impatiens stem off (3-5") and remove the lower leaves so the nodes (where the leaves used to be attached to the stem) are bare. Leave the top set of leaves but do remove any flowers or flower buds.

Cut the bottom of the stem off under water and move the small cutting to a glass of water. let the leaves rest over the side of the glass.

Change the water every 2-3 days.

Keep the plant in indirect light (no full sunlight) in a moderately warm place and soon roots will develop.

I have found that a northern facing window, or a kitchen window with window sheers are good.

When roots are 3-4" long, preparre a small pot with potting soil. Transplant the cutting by covering the bottom of the stem up to (but not including) the first set of leaves with soil. Then water well. Keep the plant in indirect light. It may look 'sad' for a day or two after transplanting but then it usually perks up.

After the newly planted cutting has grown a bit, pinch off the top so it will branch out.

Expect 3-4 weeks from making the cutting until flowering.

• geri123
    19 years ago

Has anyone ever set New G's leaves and have them root?

I set 6 in light potting soil about two weeks ago and they have not wilted yet.
    Is there any hope for them to root?
    I hope to hear from someone.
    Thank you
    Geri

• geri123
    19 years ago

Thanks to all who responded to my question about starting NGI cuttings.

I appreciate all the help.
    Geri

Sponsored