Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick Impatiences

Posted by Ruth69 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 8:27

Planted 252 impatiences. 189 aren't growing. 63 are doing great in the same bed. Used Miracle Grow Mix as soil, Miracle Grow to feed and did all of this the same with all the plants. Hopefully, you can see the difference. Never had this problem before. Are the sick ones just bad plants to start with?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick Impatiences

Ruth69, Mine did the same thing and the best I have been able to find out is that there is a "downy mildew" epidemic going on right now with impatiens.(It is a fungus) Several websites have said the only thing to do is pull them up and destroy them. One site said to burn them or bury them at least 20 inches. Pulled mine up yesterday and it was painful....don't know if I will replant with anything at this point. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Horticulture Society

o

That is shocking information, oldstew. I was calling it powdery mildew, I didn't realise it was downy mildew. A gardener on Irish radio said milk and water helped, maybe he didn't know what he was talking about.

o

Thanks for your comments. I emailed Bonnie Plants for help and they didn't mention this at all. However, they are sending me a check to cover what I lost. I told them they had to have a disease or something. I'll let you know if it is what I told them how much it costs me. Asked for a site to send pictures and no response on that just will send me a certificate for my loss. I shall go directly out and pull the rest up and dispose of them in the garbage.

Thanks again! Ruth

o

Milk really will help with downy mildew. I don't know if it will work on impatiens, but it will on vegetables.

o

According to Steve Bender's blog post, downy mildew is a water mold not a fungus. Really a bummer any way you look at it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Downy mildew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here