Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens are not growing -- why?

Posted by mickimax Zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 15, 06 at 10:39

I planted many impatients in my flower bed which surrounds my old maple tree. The other annuals planted in the bed are doing well, except my impatiens are not growing. They look the same size as they were when I bought them at the garden center (6-8 packs). I planted them about a month ago. I've been watering and feeding the bed. The weather did turn cold last week here in Iowa with highs near 60 for a few days (and evenings in the 50's). Other than that, they are in perfect shade. I did use top soil for the bed; should I mix some sand and compost into the soil? Is the soil too hard for the impatiens? Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens are not growing -- why?

Mine are slow too so far, we've had some cool nights so that's probably why. The weekend is suppsoed to be 90 or more so have patients! I think the soil has to warm up a bit more.

Tom

o

I have impatiens under two old trees in the back. Sometimes it takes awhile before they really take hold, especially with the temp fluctuations in the last week, etc. make sure they get enough water, and wait just a little longer, they should come into their own very soon.

o

i have had trouble growing impatiens every year since i've lived in this house. this spring i read in a garden column that annuals should not be planted until the soil temp is above 50. so i bought a soil thermometer and as soon as the temp was 51 i planted them. THEN another garden writer said IMPATIENS needed a soil temp of 60!! the shock of cooler soil and air temps will cause them to do poorly all season. this columnist's lament was that by the time the temp warms up, there is a poor selection of plants left in the nurseries. but if you buy them when there is a good selection, you have to keep them warm (and wet and fertilized) for a month before setting them out. my 5 flats of impatiens and coleus are not much bigger than wheni put them in memorial weekend, while my next door neighbor's are literally flowing out of her window boxes... planted at the same time in bagged potting mix and close to the house. sigh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here