Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Guinea Impatients Dying

Posted by jatti NC (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 7, 09 at 14:56

Hello,

I recently had to hanging baskets on my front porch that had plants in them. They are the moss type of baskets that allow for adequate drainage. I accidentally fertilized them with Mir-acid instead of Miracle-grow and the plants died. :-(

Now, a few weeks later, I have purchased New Guinea Impatiens and put those in the baskets on the shaded porch. After planting them I watered them with Miracle-Grow. Their is a vinca vine growing in the basket with them. It has been three days and the New Guineas are extremely wilted! They are really drooping. The soil is still moist but not soaked. The weather has been wonderful the past few days. Not too hot, not too cold, not humid, mix of sun and clouds and some rain. They do not get rain water on the porch nor direct sunlight. Ample light though on the porch as there are no huge trees in the yard.

What do I need to do to bring them to life? Should I add limestone to the soil in case it is too acidic? Should I put them in direct sunlight a few hours a day? Should I re-pot the whole plant in new soil? Will re-potting them shock them even more?

Thanks,
Jamie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Guinea Impatients Dying

Jamie
My guess is that they are too dry. Their root have been growing in a pot and are still in that shape so they suck up all the water in that space. The moss basket dries out quickly and they should be watered more. I am guessing the vines may have been in longer and may not be showing the problem that the Impatiens have. Plus the vine is more woody and can take drying out more anyway.

o
RE: New Guinea Impatients Dying

Did you loosen the roots before you planted it. When a plant has been in a pot for a while, the roots hit the bottom of the pot and it has nowhere to go. Then they go round and round The roots can't take up the moisture and nutrients it needs and they continue to go round and round even after it's planted in the soil.

Dig out your plant and loosen the roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here