Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Busy lizzie

Posted by DavidmGeary none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 16:16

The most exotic busy lizzie in my collection.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Busy lizzie

The big picture

o

Oooh cool!
I don't know if I'd call that a busy lizzie, though!

o

When you don't see the plant in bud as here, it is easy to think it might be the old-fashioned busy lizzie - it happened to me before - I got a surprise when the buds and blooms appeared.

o

This is not a picture of the old Fashioned Busy lizzy ..this is a hybrid busy lizzy with a strange yellow and red blossom i don't know much about this variety but it is most definitely a busy lizzy you need only look at the foliage (leaves) to see that it is an impatien...of the hybrid variety ..the old Fashioned Busy lizzy with small pink blossoms can grow much taller i have one that measures 5 feet tall this is the one that i refer to as the old Fashioned pink busy lizzy ....i hope this helps ...i will post a collection of all the different varieties that i have soon as i can...

o

David, that's no busy lizzie (Impatiens Walleriana), and it's not a hybrid either.
You were right in thinking it's an Impatiens, though!
What you have there is another member of the Impatiens genus, Impatiens Niamniamensis.

It's an absolutely great little perennial. I have one on a sunny window sill indoors and it flowers almost all the time. It grows from cuttings like a busy lizzie too.

o

Thanks for the info Jack ...i got this one as a present and was misinformed obviously ..the person who got it for me told me that it was a hybrid but i agree with you its more like a cousin to the busy lizzy ..that explains a lot but the other photo i posted is the old Fashioned pink busy lizzy of which i have plenty of cuttings ...let me know if you would like a few.....thanks again for the info Jack..

o

No sweat, David.
I'd love cuttings but I live in Australia, and customs wouldn't allow it. It's a shame because real old Busy Lizzies are hard to come by!

o

Ah that's a shame this is the old fashioned busy lizzy that i grew from a cutting...this is where my passion for impatiens started...anyway with your climate in Australia i bet you can grow some great plants.thanks again for the info they say you learn something new every day and today i did.....take it easy Jack
regards David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here