Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kyla76_gw

Impatien seeds

kyla76
14 years ago

I have so many questions, you guys are going to get sick of me..lol.

I'm not having any luck catching the impatien seed pods at the right time. I'll pull something off, pop it open and find an unopened bloom. Maybe I don't know exactly what I'm looking for? I've looked at dozens of pictures and am still not getting it right. Any input would be appreciated!

Comments (10)

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Not sure about all impatiens but on mine the seed pods are fuzzy like a peach and the blooms are not. I have balsam and some pink hybrids. This is my first year with impatiens and love them. My first seed pods are just about ready judging by pictures on other threads. Good luck!

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

The seed pods of impatiens is elongated. I don't think they are fuzzy at least I've never seen fuzzy ones and I've been growing them for many years. They are usually impossible to miss because most stick out from the flowers. They are longer than a flower bud and come to a point with a swelling in the middle. Wrap your hand around the seed pod and push down slightly on the pod with your thumb. If it's ripe it will pop open and the seeds will fly. Hence the name impatiens

• taz6122
    14 years ago

oilpainter it's hard to believe that someone growing them for years can't feel or see the fuzz.

Kyla flower bud on the left and seed pod on the right.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Sorry I should have chose a ripe pod but just wanted to show the fuzz. This is a ripe pod below. The general rule I follow is the shape of the pod, being banana shaped when ripe(First picture). It also has a almost transparent spot on the pod (second picture) and the popped pod and seeds(Third picture).

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

taz6122
    Those are not regular hybrid impatiens seeds. They are balsam--sometimes called balsamic impatiens , but not true impatiens. It is a close relative of the ones we call impatiens.

I have grown both and there are many differences between the 2. The first Balsam was camellia flowered and about 18 inches tall with an erect one stem growth habit. It has a thick stem that always put me in mind of a tree trunk. The flowers grow near to the stem. About 10 years ago the developed the variety called Tom Thumb which is about 12 inches tall, but has many of the characteristics of the taller one. It's flowers are more above the foliage than the Camellia flowered one. They do indeed have fuzzy seed pods and the seed is large enough to handle.

True impatiens have the same tender looking stem. They branch very well from the root and up the stem.The flowers are for the most part single--though there are double ones too. They have a smooth seed pod that is almost football shaped. They do indeed pop open when ripe and the seed is small like grains of pepper

• taz6122
    14 years ago

oilpainter I have those too just in pink, they are single. I have not seen any pods on them yet and have heard if they do make seed they will most likely go back to the original form. I'm not too impressed with pink so they are still in small pots and probably root bound. I have a spot by the mailbox that is bare so I think I'll plant them there. Sorry if I jumped in where I shouldn't have but this is my first year with impatiens and I love the balsams. Mine are 24 inches with one being 26" and still growing with a main stem and 4-7 stems coming off that almost as tall. So full and beautiful. Here's a couple pics.

{{gwi:999169}}

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Hey we all live and even an experienced gardener can learn. I do all the time, and I've been gardening for well over 30 years.

Yes those are balsam-- the camelia flowered one. Do you see how the trunks remind me of trees. They should make seeds. Maybe they are just not mature enough. This is not a hybrid and is the original form, so it should come true to form. Though I do find with saved seed you can have surprises.

It's the Tom thumb that is the hybrid and may not be as small from saved seed as the ones you got from seeds you bought. If you like the camelia flowered one you might like to try the Tom Thumb next year. It's just as easy to grow and the seed is not very expensive

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Yes I do see, the trunks are like a trees trunk. These are making seeds. It's the pink hybrid that hasn't so far. I might try the Tom Thumb as these are a little too large for my taste but they are pretty flowers. I'm going to have lots of seed. If they don't sell on ebay I'll have lots for trade.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Impatiens Walleriana or the ones I mentioned before do not make seeds early in the season --or at least I've never found any until later in the season.

If you only have one color--pink--the plants from those seeds will probably produce plants that are pink, since there are no other colors to cross pollinate with. If you have the larger flowered hybrids though the flowers may be smaller on plants grown from saved seed. That is the reason I don't usually save seeds--but to each his own. 75 % of gardening is experimental, so try and see--it's the only way you will know for sure

• tom8olvr
    14 years ago

{{gwi:17364}}
    {{gwi:17365}}
    {{gwi:17366}}
    {{gwi:17367}}
    {{gwi:17371}}
    {{gwi:17373}}
    {{gwi:17369}}

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews