Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying impatients in a rail box

Posted by goyanks34 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 20:26

Hi. I am new to this forum and I am an amateur! I planted impatients in 3 rail boxes and one box is thriving, in one box all of the flowers in the middle of the box "crumble" after several days and in the other box there is a smaller section that has a "dead" spot. In all of the other spots they are doing well, though some seem to be growin "flat" instead of up. I used soil I had from last year(left out over winter) mixed with new miracle grow moisture control and I lined the bottom with pebbles and some lava rocks when I ran out of pebbles (I was told this helps drainage) In my one big pot planter, the double impatients I planted also wilted and crumbled after a week (no rockes, last year's soil and the pot is very large). When I replanted more in the dead spots, they also died. I also use miracle grow flower bloom food in the water about once a week.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Jennifer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying impatients in a rail box

Jennifer- when did you plant the first round of them, and when did you plant the replacements for the first dead ones? Also- what type of growing conditions insofar as sun/shade/amounts are they getting? I've had some "flat" growers myself this year, but they've finally started rallying to grow up instead of out.
-Nan

o
RE: Dying impatients in a rail box

I planted the first round memorial day weekend. The flowers began to die in about a week, then I planted the next batch right away. now, those have died or are dying too. They get about 2 hours of direct sunlight a day and then they get some spotty sun through the trees. It's very strange because my one box is blooming beyond belief and the other 2 are terrible! I am going to replace the soil and add more plants tomorrow and see what happens. I'm going to take out the rocks too. I probably shouldn't have used the soil from last year. I'll let you know what happens.
Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here