Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds starting to germinate

Posted by DAZED77 Z11 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 05 at 21:48

Hi, I tried the kitchen towel method for germinating my impatiens peach fizz hybrid seeds...I placed them on a moistened kitchen towel on a saucer covered with a plastic lid and it was placed in a sunny window. Well its been about 2 weeks now and the seeds have started to show signs of germination. One has split and the rest are swollen. Wondering what to do with them now? How long should I wait before putting them into soil? Also what kind of soil, climate conditions and planting depth would be ideal for these newly germinating seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds starting to germinate

Dazed
You could use some regular potting mix and place them on top of the soil and lightly sprinkle some soil on the ones that have sprouted. Keep the humidity up with a plastic baggy.

o

Hi MrImpatiens, Thanks again :-) Actually 2 days ago, I placed the one seed that had sprouted in a small peat pot with regular potting soil and placed that peat pot in a small plastic cup filled shallowly with water (for bottom watering) I also expose it to atleast 4-5 hours of strong fluorescent light per day(provided by my study lamp) Would this do or should I go ahead and tranfer to a ziplock bag for humidity? Thanks.

o

If you see wilt then cover it with the baggy other wise it sounds good. Once you get them planted and growing you will never have to worry again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here