Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nberg7

Caring for Perennial Impatiens

nberg7
18 years ago

I'm considering ordering some impatiens listed as perennials from Annie's, but not sure about caring for them once the winter chill hits where I live. We get occasional snowfall and ice at times- if I buy these, should I pot them up and bring them indoors under grow lights for the winter or just leave them in the ground? I hate to make an investment only to see it wither away.

-Nan

Comments (7)

• MrImpatiens
    18 years ago

Nan
    You could plant them in the ground first and when they grow bigger take some cuttings just to be sure. You might want to try a layer of mulch also. Many on Annies site are new to the garden world they should be hardy but I do agree with you, I would hate to see the die and spend all that money. Which ones are you planning on getting.

• summergirl
    18 years ago

I think all impatiens are tender perennials.

• nberg7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mr. Impatiens and summergirl- thanks for your comments. Digitata mervensis and tinctoria looked particularly good for my garden design. (I mainly stick to pinks and purples in my backyard areas- and I do an all white garden in the front landscaping.) Any other suggestions that might possibly work here in the Zone of 7? I've converted my laundry room to a greenhouse in the winter- grow lights and heater, plus the moisture from running a washing machine daily, and I've had excellent luck both sprouting from seed and keeping plenty of cuttings alive and blooming right through the bitter cold of winter that befalls us here at times- so I'm thinking I'll either dig up and re-pot them up or try to get a bunch of babies going in October. Somehow when you're hooked on impatiens, October becomes a busy gardening month. By late September I have hundreds of little self-sowed plant-lettes to save from the cold and visions of replacing entire lawn sections with impatiens in the Spring. LOL - Nan

• MrImpatiens
    18 years ago

Nan
    The digitata X meruensis (correct spelling) is my hybrid. It is not winter hardy. It will set seed though and cuttings are easy. Impatiens tinctoria is hardy give it a cool summer location with well draining soil. If you have trouble is gophers or such you might want to keep it in a pot. They grow this plant in England and it has been hardy for them for years. In this country we are still sorting it out. Some people have put them in the ground and they died off it could be a question of drainage though.
    Their are a number of hardy perennial Impatiens most are from Asia but some come from Africa. Impatiens arguta so far seems to be the best one at the moment. It take the cold and the heat. I will soon be introducing a alba form. I am think of a name for it, I was thinking of Peace or Dovey or something but not sure. Any suggestions?

• nberg7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mr. I, thanks for that info- and forgive my misspelling up there! I haven't seen gophers here yet (knock wood, tossing salt and a quick genuflect,) but until I get the hang of these I'll probably pot them up, baby them inside for the winter and see what they do when we thaw out in 2006. I'll be honored to be growing one of your creations!

Okay- here are my suggestions for your alba: (by the way does this have a scent perchance?)

Kismet

Scandia
    (I always think of white when I think of Scandinavia)

Cristal

Grace (as a transitive verb, but it also makes me think of Grace Kelly and she was pure class, blonde and so beautiful)

or de Bonne Grace

Okay...off to plan my order for Annie's.

• MrImpatiens
    18 years ago

Thanks for the ideas.
    I dont yet know if the alba has a scent, They are still small cutting via Wales via Austrailia via Asia. I recently got a cultivar of sodenii that has a very striking flower and a very faint scent. But its still rooting.

• michaelzz
    18 years ago

I have been growing the tall growing ( 7-8') Himalayan Impatiens for years .. They are beautiful and have re-seeded themselves each year even after -8 temps and lots of snow here in CT.

well worth a try

taken yesterday ..towering over my greenhouse

{{gwi:999269}}

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus