Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jannsm_gw

Anyone growing impatiens walleriana - 2014? How are they doing?

JannSM
9 years ago

As most of you probably know, impatiens walleriana (and possibly New Guinea impatiens also) has been struck by a deadly disease called Impatiens Downey Mildew (IDM). Until this disease hit, I�d been relying on impatiens to add brightness to an area of deep shade in my yard. I really would like to grow them again. Because of this, I�m tracking how impatiens are faring, including how they�re doing in home gardens this summer, but I�m having a difficult time. Mostly I�m only finding a comment here and there on various forums.

I�m wondering if we could make this thread a central place for people to report their own experience, and that of people they know, with growing impatiens during the summer of 2014? And, to report any announcements of scientifically-developed cures or the development of IDM-resistant impatiens. And, to report the discovery of DIY cures or methods to combat this disease.

I know that growers have taken careful steps in an attempt to supply local plant nurseries with impatiens that are free of downy mildew. Is it working? Are impatiens in home gardens IDM-free this summer? I�m not growing them this year (the ones I had last year were killed by IDM within 2-3 weeks after I bought them), but I know other people are because impatiens were widely available at stores and plant nurseries in Raleigh NC this spring. I�m wondering how these impatiens are doing, but I don�t know anyone who bought them.

If you�ve had experience with impatiens walleriana or New Guinea impatiens this year, or know someone who has, would you please report how the plants are doing? If you bought plants, but lost them to IDM, would you please post about it here (and accept my sympathy)? If you�re successfully growing them would you tell us now and then come back occasionally to give us an update?

You can probably tell I�m very interested in this - it�s just an indication of how much I want to be able to grow impatiens again. I will appreciate any information.

Comments (42)

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm not growing them this year, but I did last year and the Downy Mildew didn't really affect the plants until late July.

So many people had them in their carts when I was getting my plants this year. I told a few people about this disease but I suspect until you've actually experienced it in your own yard, you won't believe the lovely flowers in those nursery flats can decline like that.

Unless they come out with a resistant cultivar, I can't see myself growing impatiens again for many years.

• JannSM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Donna, I didn't think about the fact that people on this forum come from many different plant zones and that may affect the time Downy Mildew shows up. I usually buy impatiens bedding plants in late April and early May - I'm in Zone 7b. I think that my impatiens were dead by the end of May last year, but a house within a block still had growing impatiens a few weeks after that.

If lots of people report that they successfully grew impatiens this year I may consider growing a few in pots next year, but I'll probably wait for the resistant cultivar. It's too much trouble cleaning up after Downey Mildew.

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

Er, I'm really sorry to be the one to say this, but everything I've read says that the spores from IDM can live in soil for several years after the last infestation.
    You'd need to wait about five years after an attack before you could safely grow impatiens in the same place.

However, I did also read that the New Guinea varieties are fairly resistant to IDM...

I personally grow my impatiens indoors. That way you can keep the leaves dry. Plus you can enjoy the flowers all year - I bought a New Guinea Impatiens back in December, and put it near a sunny window. It was in flower then and it hasn't stopped since!
    (I live in Australia so my seasons are backwards... it's winter now.)

• lovetogarden
    9 years ago

I went to a nursery in my area today looking for white impatiens and the owner told me that no reputable nursery will sell them anymore until the disease is under control or varieties are developed that are resistant to the disease. The owner said that he went to a seminar in February where he learned that the USDA is considering banning the sale of impatiens until this disease is irradiated or under control as they are not really sure if impatiens are the only plants that are affected by the disease. So far it looks like this is not the case but until they have official data impatiens are being viewed with suspicion.
    We can do our part in irradiating the disease by not planting them until there is a solution to the problem.

• JannSM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lovetogarden, What a valuable report on what's going on with Impatiens and IDM!

It's really bad news that IDM may affect other plants, but it's good news that, if this is true, the USDA is considering banning sale of impatiens until this disease is irradiated or under control. That will be very tough on the nursery industry.

I've wondered about nurseries selling impatiens but I was thinking this meant plant suppliers and nurseries think they have it under control with a fungicide. Your nursery owner's take on selling it is interesting. Sounds like a true professional.

Thanks for stating our part in irradiating the disease. I'm eager to have impatiens in my garden again, but I'm more eager to do what is best in the long run.

Thank you so much for posting this.

• three4rd
    9 years ago

Hi,

I bought a whole flat of them and planted them in the usual porch containers in mid-May. They were doing beautifully until just a few days ago. I think where I might have made a mistake was bringing home some additional impatiens from a local big box store just to fill in some gaps - those impatiens went to nothing in no time, so possibly they infected the ones I got from my usual nursery. I don't see the telltale white fuzzy growth on the backs of leaves that is typical of IDM, but many flowers have fallen off and new growth is a lighter green than what was planted. So, I'm not sure what's going on. The plants don't look that bad but neither are they thriving like they usually do. We have very hot, humid weather right now so maybe that is affecting them. I read about a guy who was doing some research on IDM and reported that he got good results by giving the impatiens a high phosphorus fertilizer. So, since I had some here, I figured it's worth a try since from what I read everywhere fungicides have no effect. I'll report back on how things go. If worse comes to worse, I'll take them all out and put in new guineas.

• JannSM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the report. I'm sorry your impatiens aren't looking vigorous. I hope it's just a short-term response to the weather. Interesting that a high phosphorus fertilizer helps.
    Below is a link to an article that contains a recommendation for home gardens to use phosphorus-based fungicides preventatively. You'll see a recommendation for spraying with Agra, a low-toxicity fungicide, applying every 14-21 days. The article says it’s systemic, so you just spray it on the leaves.
    Source: http://www.homesteadgardens.com/impatiens. Phosphorus seems to be important in prevention of IDM. Please keep us posted.

• lovetogarden
    9 years ago

Problem with fungicides, as in Captan, is there are a host of health problems for humans associated with them. Captan can blind you if you get it in your eyes. Is it really worth risking your health or losing your eyesight to grow a plant that will probably die anyway? I'll wait until plant biologists figure this one out. If they don't there are still other plants out there. I used scarlet red bedding (fibrous) begonias where I normally plant impatiens. People have commented that they look stunning. I have to agree.

• JannSM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lovetogarden, I've never used a fungicide and know nothing about them. Thanks for posting about their dangers. I'm not going to plant impatiens until the IDM problem is overcome (I remember what you said about sitting this out until then), but I was willing to pass on info about fungicides that might help someone who is growing them. Now I've learned that the use of fungicides is not so simple and can be dangerous. Thanks again.

• three4rd
    9 years ago

Hi,

JannSM - thanks for the link. As to using fungicides, like any chemical spray used, precautions should always be taken - goggles, rubber gloves, etc...just like wearing protective masks when possibly breathing in any potentially harmful particulate matter. Chemicals are safe to use if used properly. That being said, I try to limit my use of strong chemical sprays, many of which are not very environmentally friendly anyway.

Keith

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

I heard about the problem with downey mildew last year and also noticed that all the nurseries in my area were still selling them. I bought some this year in May and planted them in pots and in the ground and they are all looking good so far. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they continue to thrive.

Linda

• JannSM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

three4rd, Thanks for your comments on using re fungicides and other chemicals sprays. I've learned to also wear protective gear when working with potting soil and perlite. If anyone is interested in this, search "dangers of potting soil."

tropic_lover, I appreciate your report. Sounds like you've had your impatiens about 2 months and they're still doing fine. Last year my impatiens died from IDM within just 2-3 weeks after I bought them. Your impatiens seem to indicate some suppliers and nurseries have been successful in managing IDM this year.

Yesterday I was at a leading plant nursery in Raleigh, NC and saw table after table covered in beautiful 4" pots of impatiens. I didn't buy any because I'm still waiting for a cure or disease resistant strain before buying any.

Even so, I'm encouraged by your report and seeing the healthy impatiens at a local nursery and hope others will report their experiences this year.

• JannSM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linda, Thanks so much for the update. On another forum a gardener in Chapel Hill, NC also recently reported impatiens that are still doing well.

I'm thinking that at least some growers and plant nurseries managed to get IDM-free plants to consumers, probably with the use of fungicides. And that either the growers (you and the Chapel Hill gardener) have never had IDM in their gardens or it's been there (and may still be there) but hasn't infected the impatiens this year.

Does 6UT mean you are in Utah, Plant Zone 6? If so, then we're seeing impatiens still doing well in Aug in two widely separated geographic locations. Of course, that's only two reports so not enough data to really draw conclusions.

Even so, I find this very encouraging. Thanks again for posting.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Yes, I am in Utah, just north of Salt Lake City and my zone is 6. I have not personally had a problem with Downey Mildew in my garden but I did see that others in my state have had problems in the past.

Linda

• JannSM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linda, Thanks for your response - very helpful. Unfortunately, I did have about potted impatiens die summer of 2013. Disposed on the soil, but the Downey Mildew spores may still be around.

I'm growing 3 Sunpatiens in pots this summer and they show no signs of any disease. They don't seem to like our hot sun hitting them directly at mid-day.

I was fortunate enough to visit Utah once several years ago. Spent time in Salt Lake City and visited Arches National Park. Loved it and found it very interesting because it is so different from the SE USA where I've lived all my life.

• fieldofflowers
    9 years ago

I grew quite a display of them last year in front of a high rise building. I was very fortunate the disease didn't hit hard until like late September early October, when plants are normally dying anyway.

I did have a few close calls throughout the season. I bought a 6 pack and noticed them failing to thrive. This was unfortunately after I started to take cuttings and mix them in flats of other walleriana cuttings. Luckily the disease didn't spread after I removed the rogues from the flats.
    I had to pull out about 3-4 plants in various areas throughout the season that were stunted. The remaining ones held up very well. Other areas in the city weren't so fortunate. I saw some collapsing in Mid to late July.

I believe dry hot weather and remaining strict about watering only in the morning or right before the sun hit the spot helped. That and I am certain that the garden area had not had impatiens (or any flowers besides badly neglected bushes) grown there for well over the necessary years.
    ------

This year - New Guinea impatiens and begonias only. I'm not crazy about the i. Guinea ones. Yes they have amazing flowers but they just don't hold up as well and don't spread as much.

That said - i. walleriana did make a small appearance in my garden this year in July. They are much smaller because they sprouted so late. They are all volunteers from last year. They look badly chewed by insects and thrips but otherwise doing okay.

This post was edited by fieldofflowers on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 4:45

• lovetogarden
    9 years ago

I took a chance and potted a six pack of impatiens in a pot. My sister bought 2 flats of impatiens plus a flat of the New Guineas. My potted impatiens are doing okay. No downy mildew but they've seem to got hit with what looks like rust, though I know it's not that. They have little orange dots all over them. The 2 flats my sister bought are in 2 window boxes and 2 hanging baskets. They are doing wonderfully well. The New Guinea impatiens she mixed into other big pots and they are spectacular - the flowers are huge and the colors really pop. After seeing how gorgeous the New Guinea impatiens are I think that next year I will only purchase them. My sister got hers for a song because it seems that not many people wanted to buy them (guess everyone wanted the walleriana and they didn't have them) and the nursery had to clear out their stock. Hopefully I'll have as much luck next year as she did this.

• JannSM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patchy Jack,

This is a long, long overdue response to your Jun 17 comment. I especially regret not responding earlier because you posted something you thought we needed to know even through it was bad news and you did it in such a gracious way. Thank you for that. I so wish I had a place to grow flowers indoors. I hope yours have continued to perform well for you this winter. You must be getting ready for spring - will you be growing any annuals outdoors? I hope you have a delightful spring.

Keith,

Thanks for your earlier caution about using fungicides and other chemicals. I’ve become more careful with them. I frequently wear a protective mask. Like you I limit my use of strong chemical sprays. In fact, I don’t think I use any. I’lI have to think about that to be sure. I had a bad infestation of flea beetles on a purple hyacinth bean in early June and I sprayed with a solution of red pepper, garlic, and a tad of liquid dish detergent. It worked really well.

fieldofflowers,

I appreciate your detailed and informative comment. I’m really surprised that you lost some of your impatiens and the disease didn’t spread to the remaining plants. I’m even more surprised that you removed affected plants from a flat and the remaining ones weren’t affected. I’m wondering if the collapse was caused by Impatiens Downey Mildew or something else. Do you know for sure?

Your belief “that dry hot weather and remaining strict about watering only in the morning or right before the sun hit the spot helped” is helpful. I’m not as careful about that as I should be. Not only does your method quickly dry any water that splashed onto the plants, it also ensures the plant has water and doesn’t wilt during the hottest part of the day. I tend to believe any incident of wilting weakens impatiens a little even though they perk right up when watered; and I further believe the wilting weakens the plants’ resistance to disease. Just my belief, I don't have any proof.

You give a lot of interesting information. Your seedlings came up this year even though something caused some of your plants to collapse last year. I wonder what was going on.

Thanks so very much for your comment.

lovetogarden,

Your potted impatiens are doing okay!!! No downey mildew!!! I'm so pleased to hear this. I'm becoming more and more encouraged to grow them next year. I'm thinking I'll try them but not use a fungicide if they don't thrive. If I lose them, I lose them.

Just for fun I looked up “little orange dots on impatiens.” I accidentally found an interesting description of rust on asters: “There are several different rust fungi that infect asters in Minnesota. Infection by Coleosporium asterum results in yellow leaf spots on the upper leaf surface and raised orange spore filled pustules on the lower leaf surface of New England aster and golden rod.” There are pictures, too. Scroll down to “Rust fungi infect fall blooming perennials” if you want to see them.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/efans/ygnews/diseases/

Does that sound and look like your impatiens? It wouldn’t have to be an exact match as there are numerous fungi, as I’m sure you know. The orange dots could be the rust spore even without the presence of yellow spots. Before finding this, I was thinking the dots might be caused by sucking insects piercing the leaves. I’m sorry you have this problem.

Glad your sister’s New Guinea impatiens are doing so very well. Next year you’ll be growing New Guinea impatiens and I’ll be trying walleriana.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Hi Jann, Have you tried the Sunny Lady impatiens that Parks sells? I have grown them and they did find with quite a bit of sun and it is hot here in the summer.

I glad you enjoyed your trip to Utah. The National Parks are awesome and something everyone should see. Nothing else like them! I have been to the Myrtle Beach area and Orlando and I enjoyed seeing how different it is on the east coast. I loved all the trees but I can do without the humidity LOL. I guess you get used to it.

Linda

• JannSM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linda, I've never heard of Sunny Lady. I've never considered looking for sun tolerant impatiens until last year after I happen to learn about Sunpatiens. Now I'll look into Sunny Lady. Thank you.

Until this year I'd only grown impatiens in my very dark garden area. The spot is shaded by a Leland cyprus, which is in turn shaded by a huge water oak. Super Elfins had done very well for me - until the Downey Mildew. Next year I'll use them again unless I find something more promising.

Too bad you aren't fond of high humidity - I'd offer to send you some. I could do with less myself!

Jann

• fieldofflowers
    9 years ago

There might have been some other fungal disease, but the rapid decline of the stock plants made me suspect it. But part of my success might have been because I used a fungicide rather early in the process. I have a bottle of Green light Fungaway I keep on hand. I lightly diluted it in a spray bottle and immediately sprayed all of the cuttings in the flat.

Green light is a systemic fungicide. I use it for controlling powdery mildrew and some fungal diseases both indoors and out. I also used neem oil extensively in an attempt to control a major aphid outbreak in the spirea bushes. Neither the green light fungaway or the neem oil are listed for Impatiens downy mildrew, but using them might possibly help prevent it?

The ones that looked affected in the outdoor garden could have had the mold or INSV. Either way I culled them when I found them.
    I noticed by the end of the season (after a long cool rainy spell) that most of the impatiens developed the characteristic powdery substance on the leaf undersides. Within a week or two, all were dead. There was no frost that I could think of that triggered it. The coleus were okay.

However I did not remove the plant material. I was busy/ didn't like the sudden drop of temperatures, so didn't do much work on the garden until like late this May. This year I haven't seriously bothered with either the insecticides or fungicides. I am too busy this summer to mix them up, much less try to screw on an annoying spray applicator/neem oil product. Treatments have been few and far in between.

But then again my gardening style might also help. I don't favor mass plantings of anything. I will break up and alternate plant species/ varieties.

My garden this year is roughly 60% coleus varieties 10% begonias, 10% perrenials (coral bells, ferns, Astilbe, Lamium) 10-20% flowers (NG impatiens, begonias, petunias, wishbone flowers, lobelia, etc.)

Last year it was about 60-70% coleus with about 20% impatiens. The remaining either new perennials or other flowers. I space them with about 3-4 coleus per every impatien. A little bit of flowering plants goes a long way.
    The colorful coleus leaves mixed with other variegated plants create an illusion of there being more flowers than really are.
    Having so many varieties bordering on crowding each other out might also have something to play with reducing or preventing some diseases. Another advantage is if one species fails, the garden show will hopefully carry on without much serious effect.

Perhaps the overcrowding is somehow protecting those volunteer impatiens this year. I don't know. Or maybe they aren't old enough to show the disease? Or maybe - a random thought - the coleus might have some sort of companion planting advantage? I've had some plants grow better with a coleus plant around.

This post was edited by fieldofflowers on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 6:51

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Fieldofflowers, I would love to see a picture of you garden. It sounds wonderful! Another flower I really love is Dragonwing Begonia. I plant one per pot and they really put on a show.

Linda

• JannSM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fieldofflowers,

Thanks very much for the details of your use of the fungicide, the weather, and your placement and mixture of plants. Of course, we can’t know the effects of your methods just from one person’s experience during 1-2 years, but I consider reports like yours to be invaluable. If others try your methods too and get similar results, we may be able to discover things that work for us. Like Linda, I’d love to see pictures of your garden. Thanks again for taking the time to write out the details for us.

Linda,

your Dragonwing Begonia is lovely. A few years ago I found the tiniest piece of a dragonwing type begonia, 3” long at most, on the hot asphalt of a parking lot. The foliage had gorgeous variegation. I had no idea what it was. I fought to save it, but in the end, I couldn’t. Next year I’m planning to try Dragonwings.

Jann

• lovetogarden
    9 years ago

Hi Linda, I'm growing scarlet red fibrous begonias in pots lining the front steps of my house and a large pot of them on a table on my front porch. Can I use the Dragonwings in the smaller pots lining my steps or do they grow too big for that? I think they are 6" size. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

• fieldofflowers
    9 years ago

Linda, I like your dragon wing begonia.

They seem to be popular in our city right now. The hanging planters are full of a red flowered version. Some blocks down, there's a display of red I. Wallerina growing in a garden I thought had the DM last year. It knocked down about 1/4 of their garden. This year the I. Wallerina seem to be doing well. I don't know what they did if anything at all to treat it. I'm kind of watching that area. It sits in a full sun spot, sheltered by concrete buildings behind it and across the street. I wonder if the hot, dry, sunny conditions are helping fight off the DM?

This year they planted trees in the planters. We will see if that changes the story as they grow.

My garden: This is a snapshot decidedly not showing any Wallerina, but a NG version. Sadly a thief was digging through my garden and upset my closest growing wallerina. I salvaged it and put it in a shadier spot protected by other plants.
    Time will tell if it survives and if it grows unnoticed to the thief. (they stole about 4-5 of my begonias including the two rex ones I had!)

Also note: Peter's Wonder Coleus below was stollen too, a day after the begonia heist.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Fieldofflowers- your garden is very beautiful! I can't believe some one would stoop to stealing plants from your yard. Some people are so rotten! I have never had that happen but I always put my best plants in the back yard where I enjoy them.

Lovetogarden- I think Dragonwing would be too big for a 6" pot. Mine are in 12" and 16" pots and I only put 1 plant in each pot. They grow so big! Mine actually get quite a bit of sun and that seems to make them grow bigger. I have another one that I put in an almost full shade spot and it was not growing very fast. I have since moved the pot to a sunnier spot and now it is growing better. It gets sun from 8-3.

Jann- you should give dragonwings a try...I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I fell in love with them on a trip to Busch Gardens in Tampa, FL. They had huge gardens full of them and they were spectacular!

Here is a picture of my red one.

Linda

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Here is an updated picture of the pink one. I swear it gets bigger everyday. It measures 30" across now.

Linda

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    9 years ago

I had to pull about 5 of my impatiens this morning due to IDM. Only one of them had dropped any leaves, but the others had the soft white mildew under the leaves. I have two staggered rows as a border that I imagine will all have to be pulled, but I just yanked the ones that already had the white. They've been in the ground for about 2 months and just now started showing distress. We've had very strange summer weather this year - very cool and mostly dry, but this week has been humid but still cool overnight. I imagine the change in humidity triggered the outbreak.

My impatiens get a bit more sun than I thought they would when I planted them, so perhaps this delayed the outbreak a bit as well.

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    9 years ago

I should add that I live in the Ohio River Valley in southern Ohio and that I purchased my impatiens from Walmart.

• JannSM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

anenemity, I'm very sorry about your 5 impatiens plants. I greatly appreciate the details you provided about how long they had been growing and the weather conditions. And, I appreciate your info on where you live and bought the plants.

I'm surprised they grew so long before the IDM showed up. You may have noticed above that fieldofflowers suggested IDM may be slowed down by dry hot weather and remaining strict about watering only in the morning or right before the sun hits the plants. Your report gives some support to this.

Would you please give us an update in a few weeks about the remainder of your plants and the weather? And also, would you tell us whether you've had IDM in your garden before?

I'm hoping that you report the remaining plants are doing great.

JannSM

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    9 years ago

I only watered for the first couple of weeks after planting, always in the morning. After that I let nature take care of them. I checked briefly this morning and didn't see any more signs of IDM, but a squirmy baby made that task difficult :)

I've never grown impatiens in my yard, and I don't see any planted anywhere in my neighborhood. I'll keep monitoring and let you know. Only 1 of the plants I pulled had any leaf drop, and only one more had extensive whiteness under the leaves. The others only had a couple of white leaves. I will spray fungicide on the remaining plants and hope for the best.

• JannSM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

anenemity, you only watered for the first couple of weeks after planting? After that you let nature take care of them?

That must be a benefit of living in Zone 6 - and a terrific one, at that. I'm not sure how long impatiens would do well here in Raleigh without regular watering, but don't think it would be long.

How great that you have a baby even though I know they can make gardening, and most everything else, difficult. If I remember correctly, they take a lot of time and attention.

Thanks for posting that you've never grown impatiens in your yard. That means this year's IDM didn't come from prior impatiens there. Will be interested in how your remaining plants perform this year.

• fieldofflowers
    9 years ago

This weekend I noticed the garden with the impatiens walleriana near my bus stop is starting to show the symptoms of DM again. A little later than last year, I think it was July last year. This time near the end of August. It starts in some areas and melts them progressively.

Overall right now the display is looking okay to people not looking for symptoms. The Impatiens got really huge this year, almost like little bushes. I suspect the full sun might help them grow and delay the symptoms of DM.
    ------------
    I just read an article that suggested a fertilizer being helpful controlling or killing DM.

Here is a link that might be useful: DM info and a fertilizer that might help

• JannSM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fieldofflowers, I'm so sorry that DM is showing up on your impatiens. Thanks so much for reporting it here.

I appreciate very much the link to the article and the info about the fertilizer. I'm going to look into the fertilizer as soon as I have time, which I won't have for at least two weeks.

I hope you can appreciate how amazing it is to me that you can grow impatiens walleriana in full sun. I saw that you're in MN so that may help explain it. Here in Raleigh they wouldn't make it, at least not in my garden. It's also amazing that the DM didn't show up until late August.

Thanks again for posting. Very interesting and helpful.

Jann

• piranhacam72
    9 years ago

Impatiens walleriana appear to be doing well in NW Washington, DC; however, their presence in the District has noticeably diminished within the past few years. Before 2012, impatiens walleriana were prevalent in DC. They are my favorite plant--mainly because of their "poppers" (the name my son and I use to refer to the swollen seed pods). I included a link to YouTube video that I filmed about a week ago of a healthy bunch of impatiens walleriana at 20th and L St. NW. It's surprising how many people don't know about poppers. But it sure is fun educating them. And it is even more entertaining watching the expressions of people--adults and children alike--who experience the bursting sensation in their hands for the first time! Please feel free to share the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens

• JannSM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

piranhacam, what fun! Your video is terrific. I know that impatiens self-sow but I've never popped one of the seed pods. I will in the future.

Was very pleased to see the healthy impatiens in DC. Thanks for posting here as well as on youtube.

Jann

• fieldofflowers
    9 years ago

JannSM - It's not my garden. I wish it was! It's a curb garden right by a bank building. Whoever is landscaping it does a great job with the impatiens. I mean seriously they look like small bushes. I've seen photos on google of that happening in FL. They almost grow up to my knees. Dang. I keep forgetting to take my camera with me when I cross by that area. I'll see if I can get a snap. I better hurry, because they are melting away, very much like they did last year.

My garden right now is filled with coleus. They exploded these last couple weeks and crowded everything else out. There are a couple Impatiens W. buried under the coleus, just blooming away in silence. I am tempted to take a cutting. If anything to look at them and inspect the leaves.

Thinking over I wonder if my little Impatiens volunteers, hiding under the coleus, happened because some neighbor, trying to be helpful, raked away the wood chip mulch and left the ground bare. The wood chips might have insulated the seeds.
    I went in and filled it with coco mulch - which was my plan last year, but wasn't able to do it.
    If such plants need light to sprout, I wonder how they got it? Unless the rain washed away some of that mulch and kept it wet enough. Maybe the raking helped remove some of the infected plant material? I don't know. I'm still going to be very conservative with impatiens. Now knowing part sun flowers may bloom in my spot, I may use petunias as the more dominant flower attraction for next year.

This post was edited by fieldofflowers on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 3:40

• DavidmGeary
    9 years ago

Cuttings of old fashioned impatien tall pink variety available ...

• joec1
    8 years ago

Just about a year after these last posting, my Impatiens are doing well so far. I water them over the top just about every other day or every 3rd day in the these hot metro Atlanta days of 90 degrees + for the last month.

• lovetogarden
    8 years ago

You water them over the top?! I thought we should never get the foliage wet to prevent disease issues? I recently read an article in a small community paper by a gardening professional who also claimed that when you water from above you cause the flowers to fade faster. Yours doesn't seem to be having that problem though.

• joec1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I water them early morning so they can dry out during the day. It helps that it is hot here. I used to grow them all the time in NY. This is my first time growing them in the south..

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions