Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_inmo

Is anyone growing Bruno impatiens?

ellen_inmo
18 years ago

This is my second year growing Brunos from seed, and the same thing has happened this year as last. I am curious if this is typical of Brunos, or if I am just doing something wrong.

My Brunos began blooming in April. All Brunos were planted by mid May. Once planted, they almost completely stopped blooming, maybe the occasional bloom here and there, until about last week, which was about 5 weeks after planting. Now, my plants are about 6 inches tall, about 15 inches wide, and are smothered with buds, about to pop open anyday. These are amazingly tough plants, with really thick leaves, compared to my other impatiens (Sunny Ladies, Tempos, Accents, and Swirls).

Everyone who has gotten these impatiens from me have had this same thing happen, some of them started blooming two weeks ago (however, they had planted theirs before I did). And oh Wow!! Those that have started blooming are incredible plants! The blooms are over 2 inches in diameter, all over the plants. I had warned everybody that last year I grew these and this had happened, so they were not upset with the delay in blooms. Now, they are thrilled!!

My Brunos do not wilt at all in full sun, compared to the Sunny Ladies that wilt daily. However, my Sunny Ladies had no delay at all in blooming. They were fertilized exactly the same way from seed to planting as everything else.

Now, my question is, does anyone else experience a delay in blooming with Brunos? Is this what is expected from them? Once mine started blooming last year, there was no stopping them. Amazing superb plants. I just wish I could deminish the delay of blooming for that long. It is hard to sell someone on an impatien that is going to stop blooming for a while.

I'd love to hear more input on Brunos.

Comments (3)

• MrImpatiens
    18 years ago

I have one but its in a pot. I got a few flowers here and there. I should plant it in the ground I would love to see it flower like yours.

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I will post a photo of their progress as soon as it stops raining and I get a good photo (it feels weird to be saying that, after overcoming drought conditions here in southeast Missouri).

I am still having questions concerning the "sunny impatiens", particularly the 'Sunny Ladies'. Maybe I just need to learn more in detail about how dappled shade affects plants. I have plants such as Coleus 'Rainbow Mix' from seed, shady impatiens and sunny impatiens that are in different locations,but coming from the same batch of plants. Some are in full sun, some are in dappled sun. Everything planted in dappled sun wilts all day long. Everything in full sun does not wilt at all. Am I just a dummy here who is not grasping the reasons for this? Is it simply that plants need to "adapt" to full sun/heat and then will no longer wilt? Are my dappled sun located coleus and sunny impatiens wilting because they never adapt to the everchanging light conditions? That is what makes sense to me, though, I have done a search on the web for explanation of this and cannot find one single thing.

Simply: dappled sun causes my plants to wilt, when they do not wilt at all planted in full sun (the exact same plants from the exact same batch planted in two different locations).

I love the colors and growing habit of the 'Sunny Ladies' but I am afraid to put them in full sun next year, as I am not pleased with seeing them wilt all day long until they get full shade.

Any one here have information to offer on how dappled light affects plants????

• MrImpatiens
    18 years ago

I would think more water for the wilted plants. The soil might be different in that location as well. There is a plant that is sold as sun Impatiens but is not impatiens at all its vinca. The flowers are similar at a glance but when you look closer you can see vinca is tubular and doesnt have a spur.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio