Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My New Guinea Impatien has wilted in 1 day flat... help please

Posted by megankgeis z4 WYO (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 05 at 7:06

I purchased a New Guinea Impatien in a hanging basket about 4-5 weeks ago. It has been beautiful, then yesterday we had temps around 95-98 degrees. It is hanging in a covered porch, total shade, I have been keeping the soil evenly moist - it has never dried out or been exposed to water stress... but yesterday between the am and pm most of its thick stems are wilted over, most of the leaves are wilted, it just looks horrid! Do they not take heat? What can I do to save my plant, I feel like I have been doing everything right? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My New Guinea Impatien has wilted in 1 day flat... help pleas

hi... i have other varieties of impatiens which do occasionaly wilt but bounce back immediately after watering. i read up a bit on this NG variety and it seems many people said it does well with a few hours (or more) of sun (obviously not during the hottest part of the day.
try putting it in another spot and se if with moderate watering it bounces back...

o

I've got one that looks like death itself every once in a while when we have a brutally hot day....but it always bounces back after two days of not too much water...just a good soaking one day and and spritz the next. You'll lose the blossoms and a few leaves, but it'll do okay. Need partial sun if you are in a hot hot climate. They won't sunburn like other impatience but don't like the sun directly much. I still consider this a shade plant...just put it in a space with more reflected or dappled sunlight.

o

I too am having a tough time with NG's this year. I think it's been mostly because of the high 90 degree temperatures. I'm watering 3 large NG pots every day now, which is getting old. Two of the pots are generally OK, but the third pot has lost almost all of its flowers. My NG pots are on our south facing deck which gets a lot of sun. But I have 2 large umbrellas which shade the pots some of the day. I moved the ill NG pot to a more shady location and I hope it recovers. Last year our NGs in the same locations were fine, but they did take a lot of watering. Next year, no NGs for my deck.

o

I kind of suspect that this beauty has wilted due to too much water. I watered somewhat thoroughly and we had rain for 3 consecutive days, STRANGE. I keep it in a partially shaded area and only water usually every third day. Any advice greatly appreciated.http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd94/WallySBdriver/?action=view¤t=2008070720080707_02.jpghttp://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd94/WallySBdriver/?action=view¤t=2008070720080707_01.jpg

o

Just today, I had the same problem with my $20 new guinea hanging basket. But I simply forgot to water it. Now it's wait and see. It does get sun till about 2pm, I may move further in the shade.

I'll tell you, this year I found begonias to be reliable. I'm tired of nursing fickle annual plants. Theses fibrous begonias seem to thrive anywhere - sun or shade. I have them planted in a concrete urn and in-ground along a border.

They look stunning! Good bye to you, impatiens et al. Got other things in need of my attention.

o

im with you on the begonias!!

o

Interesting. This explains a lot. I had severe issues with my NGI wilting midday. I always thought they lacked water.

I'll add NGI to the list of plants I notice wilting midday in hot weather. (coleus - seed type, purple coneflowers and others I can't think of.) Annoying as heck. When I moved them to the shade garden, I had less wilting, but it still happened on those 90+ degree days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here