Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens disease

Posted by jane5 z5 MO (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 2, 06 at 9:55

I have been gardening for several years now. Impatiens are one annual I have always loved and make sure I have several every year. I love their non-stop color, they always do just wonderful for me. Well last year my impatiens got a mystery illness and I ended up yanking them all out and really missed their color. So this spring I decided to start them from seed so I wouldnt have to worry about a disease again. Well darn if they didnt get it again. Now I am a smoker and I know about washing my hands before touching my plants. They also are all in new soil and some are even still in the six packs that I planted them in so I know its not the containers. But this is not looking like what I read about the tobacco rattle virus. The leaves are a nice dark green, but they are all curling under. Not just a little, but to the point that they dont look like leaves at all. And the plants are not really flowering, or growing much. Has anyone ever had to deal with this before. Do I have a chance to fix this, or do I have do give up on impatiens. Also, I tried cutting them back and starting cuttings, the new growth came back the same and the cutting did root, but not well and I dont think the plants will amount to anything. Any help here would be REALLY appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens disease

Hmmm
Sounds more like pests or feeding situation not really virus.
It could ba aphids or if in a dry area mites. This happens to me sometimes. Sucking type bug are really the bane of Impatiens. You might want to try spraying them with thing to wipe them out. There are many things out there to help get rid of them.
Over feeding can sometimes cause leaf curl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here