Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery tiny bugs destroy impatiens. Help!

Posted by mehawkes UK (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 10:10

I have successfully grown impatiens indoors for some years. They are not the New Guinea ones but the normal single flower variety.

The last three plants have been killed by a bug that I can't identify or kill.

It is long and thin but tiny - length is under 1mm. It is between white and green in colour. It doesn't fly. It hasn't infected any other houseplants.

The bugs gather round the edge of the leaves and eat them moving towards the center of the leaf. This leaves the plants a shrivelled mess.

I have tried greenfly (aphid)killer, sulphur solution and washing up liquid solution all to no effect.

I would be hugely grateful if you could tell me what these bugs are and how to kill them.

I have put some good pictures of them on my website for which I have put a link here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of bugs eating impatiens

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery tiny bugs destroy impatiens. Help!

They appear to be common thrips. What is the active ingredient in your greenfly killer (on the label)?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here