Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babelsrus

Mayday!!! Help with impatiens

babelsrus
19 years ago

I'm in need of some really quick expertise. My new neighbor asked me to watch her home while she was away over the 4th. She said she had put her potted plants down near sprinkler heads so they should be ok. Well the first morning when I went out I moved one pot of coleus back up on her porch because I was worried it was going to get to much direct sun. The second morning I noticed that the pot of impatiens was full to the brim with water so I decided to move all the plants back to the porch and just water if needed. I drained some of the water out of the pot of impatiens (New Guinea) but when her potting soil started to pour out as well, I stopped and thought that the rest of the water would drain out of the bottom. This morning when I went out the plant looks like it's giving up the ghost... The soil is still soaked so I tilted the pot and the water still pours out .At that point I noticed there isn't a drain hole in the bottom. So the plant has been sitting in a lot of water for 48 hours or more. Do you think the sun will dry the soil (I've drained it till water doesn't drip anymore) and that the plant in this weakened condition can take being in the direct sun. I could move it to the shade but not sure it will dry out fast enough.

My neighbor comes home tomorrow; I'd really like to be able to revive this plant before she gets back. This isnÂt the best way to start a neighborly relationship. IÂve really tried to be conscientious-going over twice a day, but sheÂll only remember that I killed her very large beautiful plant.

Any advice will be so appreciated. Beth

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths