Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill66_gw

New Guinea--Starting from seed..

bill66
16 years ago

My wife was given a New Guinea plant in a hanging basket for Mothers Day 2007. That thing is about as pretty a plant that I have ever seen.. It is huge and is one flowering bugger!! Ok, my question. Those little footballs, when do you pick them off?? Do they dry up and shrink? I have never watched them long enough to see what happenes to them. I thought that they were the beginning of a new flower.. Do I pick them off, let them dry or pick them and directly put them into soil or in a paper towel and baggie to let them sprout? I took some shoots off the bottom edge around the main plant last night and poked them in a 6 inch pot and put a plastic baggie over them to see if they will start. They still looked good this AM.. I have read other places where sun, water, fert., and all sorts of special things to keep these flowers blooming. MY pot, (yes I am claiming it from my wife) is on an old picnic table under a shade tree. It sees sun about 2 hrs in the morning, the rest of the time it is in the shade.. We are located in SW Mo., zone 6 and spend winters in deep south Texas, zone 9 Will these things keep blooming all winter in south Texas? Everything else down there blooms all winter.. Thanks, hope to hear from someone.. Bill

Comment (1)

Sponsored