Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
normanbest

Impatiens Are Not Surviving

normanbest
11 years ago

I've grown impatiens every year in containers. They are usually great. This year they were planted 3 or 4 weeks ago. In each container they are starting to die. The containers were full now they are starting to wilt in one part of the container and it spreads through the whole container. I haven't done anything different this year from past years. I have attached a photo.

Thanks

Comments (11)

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

If you read through recent posts in this forum you will find that there is a new downy mildew attacking Impatiens all over the place and they look just like yours. Apparently there is no cure except getting rid of the infected impatiens.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

• mistascott
    11 years ago

Check the bottom of the leaves. If they are whitish, they are infected and you must trash the plants and ditch the soil. I just found it on mine. It tends to occur in very shady and moist areas.

• wally2007
    11 years ago

Its just too bad. My Impatiens have been just about the best performing lovely displays I have had for years and years. Up until this most oppressive summer. Some are thriving however others are just fading away.

• purplepassion54
    11 years ago

Just want all to know that I just found out today there is a virus that is killing all the impatients, my nieces hubby is a farmer and happen to mention it and now know why mine got scraggly and died, it is so bad that the industry does not know if they will be growing them any longer

• itzbinnice
    11 years ago

I've been living on Long Island NY for the past 38 years and have always had impatiens planted. I have NEVER in all that time seen the plants die as they did this year. They have always flourished in the past.

I checked with my adjoining neighbor and a neighbor across the street, they both said all their impatiens died also.
    My sister who lives 2 miles away said hers also died. It can't be a soil problem so it must be a virus as others have stated.

This year the summer weather was extremely hot and humid so that may be a contributing factor. Another thing I noticed mosquitoes are everywhere which was seldom the case in years past. I wonder if the humidity and mosquito infestation are part of the cause.

I will be reluctant to plant impatiens next year. BTW none of my other species of plants are suffering; in fact my Petunias are still flourishing.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Blaming mosquitoes works for me. Or poisonous snakes.

• itzbinnice
    11 years ago

@purpleinopp
    Please keep your sarcasm to yourself, I didn't appreciate it.If you've got nothing useful to say, then say nothing at all.

11 years ago

It was just a joke, as I thought what you said was. I was just workin' what was already there. Sorry if I misunderstood. I certainly didn't mean to offend, not how I roll.

• itzbinnice
    11 years ago

Apolgy accepted.

BTW there are no poisonous snakes in Long Island.

11 years ago

That's something to be thankful for! Smiles!

• itzbinnice
    11 years ago

Follow Up
    Yesterday Newsday, Long Island NY,s local newspaper had an article about why Impatiens are dying here. It was confirmed it was due to "Downy Mildew". They went on to say it is spread by winds spreading airborn spores. The disease will survive the winter so planting them next season will do no good.

New Guinea Impatins are not affected by the disease and are safe to plant. Long Island growers are looking to find suitable substitutes to grow for next year.

New Guniea Impatiens are too expensive to grow in mass so next year I will plant more petunias, wax begonia's and other plants to replace the area's where the impatiens were planted.

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations