Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlove_gw

Will Impatiens Reseed?

gardenlove
18 years ago

Hello!..I am in Zone 5-6...Will my double and single impatiens self sow in my zone?...I would like to grow them outdoors in pots this summer, then bring some indoors when it gets cold this fall(will they live and grow indoors?...and if so, at what time/temperature will I need to bring them inside so they do not die?)...it sure would be nice to have them more then just one season!...I just don't know if I need to save seed to restart indoors for next year?(which I will probably do anyway)..or if they are even possibly going to self sow and spring up here and there in my shade garden?...any thoughts and advise is appreciated..Thank you!...GardenLove

Comments (12)

• grits10
    18 years ago

You can pinch them back and bring them inside. But they get messy. They shed flower petals by the millions. But if you're like me, that's okay, in moderation. Need bright indirect light, water well once a week but don't let it get soggy for days on end. it'll rot. I usually just dunk mine in the sink once a week and let it drain well. Use porous soil mix. pinch back if they start to get leggy. In Feb or March, you can start taking cutting and root new plants for spring planting. You can do the same thing with begonias. Depending on your light availability, you may need to put a 'grow light' bulb in a nearby lamp.

• mrsboomernc
    18 years ago

From a flat of impatiens I bought and planted in my shade garden last year, I've got hundreds (!) of volunteers this year. They started blooming as soon as they emerged, too. The blossoms are all true to the colors of their parents. It has been such fun lifting them up and tucking them any place that's shady enough, and I've filled pots and hanging baskets galore. Such a pleasant surprise :)

marsha

• michaelzz
    18 years ago

Last year I planted Impatien gladulifera, the Himalayan impatient in pots and they re-seeded in the garden .. some of them are already over 7' tall and in full bloom. .

• michaelzz
    18 years ago

some pictures of them..tall plants against the greenhouse ,, and then beginning to bloom on 6/30 .. will take some current ones ,, they are over 8' tall now

6/15

{{gwi:999548}}

and on 6/30

{{gwi:999549}}

• michaelzz
    18 years ago

flowers ..
    More like the native orange flowered Jewel Weed than the common summer bedding impatients ...

{{gwi:999550}}

{{gwi:16331}}

• gardenlove
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello michaelzz...WOW!....Now those are some impatiens on steriods!..They are gorgeous...You must be so pleased to have found volunteers....Thanks for sharing the pictures....your garden is full of such interesting colors!...GardenLove

• michaelzz
    18 years ago

the same plants 7/19

{{gwi:999269}}

• Jason Rehnlund
    7 years ago

Does anyone know if these plants are impatiens??? I had them in this flower box last summer and we had a mild winter this past year in Michigan. I'm wondering if they reseeded???

• chuckerfly
    7 years ago

Those are weeds..

• dowlinggram
    7 years ago

I used to bring Impatiens plants in in fal land take cuttings from them in spring. They did well enough indoors until spider mite hit. I don't seem to have a problem with this tiny insect outdoors. Perhaps the spray of the hose keeps them in check and we do tend to have cooler nights, Indoors however they take over and multiply like crazy.

I've given up bringing plants indoors. Instead I collect seed and start them under lights about 2 1/2 months early and I have nice plants to set out.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    7 years ago

The tubular flowered impatiens like jewelweed,balsam,glandulifera and balfouri will self sow all over the place.The seedlings are easy to pull up though.I,m not sure how other tropical and tuberous impatiens propagate themselves.The flat flowered bedding and new guinea impatiens don't self sow for me here in zone 5b, although one year one bedding impatiens came up outside from seed.I've never tried collecting their seeds and starting them indoors.I did start a beautiful yellow African impatiens from seeds I got from Burpee some years ago.They were beautiful with slightly tubular yellow blooms and a red throat,but unfortunately Burpee doesn't offer them anymore.I think they hybridized it with wallerana and the result wasn't as good as either parent plant on its own.I also grew the blue impatiens namchabarensis a few years ago.I wanted and hoped I'd get seedlings from it because it was breathtakingly beautiful,but no such luck.Think I got it from Annie's Annuals.If I ever grow it again I will definitely try to collect it's seeds and start indoors.I have a mystery.I've been growing orange jewelweed and impatiens balfouri in my yard for years now, and every year I have seedlings of both(hundreds) coming up.This spring there is not one balfouri seedling anywhere.I can't explain it and

I was wondering if all the plants last year were cross pollinated and maybe all the seedlings look like the jewelweed.The leaves and flowers of the two species are quite different from each other.

Sponsored