Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Impatiens Reseed?

Posted by GardenLove z4-6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 05 at 11:35

Hello!..I am in Zone 5-6...Will my double and single impatiens self sow in my zone?...I would like to grow them outdoors in pots this summer, then bring some indoors when it gets cold this fall(will they live and grow indoors?...and if so, at what time/temperature will I need to bring them inside so they do not die?)...it sure would be nice to have them more then just one season!...I just don't know if I need to save seed to restart indoors for next year?(which I will probably do anyway)..or if they are even possibly going to self sow and spring up here and there in my shade garden?...any thoughts and advise is appreciated..Thank you!...GardenLove

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Impatiens Reseed?

You can pinch them back and bring them inside. But they get messy. They shed flower petals by the millions. But if you're like me, that's okay, in moderation. Need bright indirect light, water well once a week but don't let it get soggy for days on end. it'll rot. I usually just dunk mine in the sink once a week and let it drain well. Use porous soil mix. pinch back if they start to get leggy. In Feb or March, you can start taking cutting and root new plants for spring planting. You can do the same thing with begonias. Depending on your light availability, you may need to put a 'grow light' bulb in a nearby lamp.

o

GardenLove- I'm not sure about your zone, but even with the occasional snow and freeeeeezing temps we get here I had quite a few volunteers (probably 50 or more) in my gardens. I'm not a random gardener though and have carefully dug and replanted them where I wanted them. There are also several threads about sprouting them from seed here you might want to read. Hope that helps.
-Nan

o

From a flat of impatiens I bought and planted in my shade garden last year, I've got hundreds (!) of volunteers this year. They started blooming as soon as they emerged, too. The blossoms are all true to the colors of their parents. It has been such fun lifting them up and tucking them any place that's shady enough, and I've filled pots and hanging baskets galore. Such a pleasant surprise :)

marsha

o

Last year I planted Impatien gladulifera, the Himalayan impatient in pots and they re-seeded in the garden .. some of them are already over 7' tall and in full bloom. .

o
RE: Will Impatiens Reseed? yes

some pictures of them..tall plants against the greenhouse ,, and then beginning to bloom on 6/30 .. will take some current ones ,, they are over 8' tall now

6/15

and on 6/30

o
RE: Will Impatiens Reseed? flwers

flowers ..
More like the native orange flowered Jewel Weed than the common summer bedding impatients ...

o

Hello michaelzz...WOW!....Now those are some impatiens on steriods!..They are gorgeous...You must be so pleased to have found volunteers....Thanks for sharing the pictures....your garden is full of such interesting colors!...GardenLove

o

the same plants 7/19

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here