Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainegard3

Downy Mildew 2013 ???

mainegard3
10 years ago

What has everyone's experience been with Downy Mildew this year? 2012 was certainly not a good year so I was curious whether or not it has resurfaced. Noting your location will help, especially if you are from Maine. Thanks.

Comments (8)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Not me, but it is definitely around, be on lookout!

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

We don't seem to have them for sale here in N. Va. But we traveled to Seattle and Vancouver, BC in July, and saw a few impatiens there - not masses, but some. They looked OK.

• steve1227
    10 years ago

funny here in longisland, ny they tolds us not to plant any, however,Ihave seen some planted around and they look fine??

• princessgrace79
    10 years ago

I planted some, and they are doing fabulous. They actually look the best of all of my annuals!! ha.

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

My impatiens completely died with the exception of a couple of doubles. They were wiped out in the Montreal area. Everyone's gardens look pretty pathetic.

• ofionnachta
    10 years ago

I had them ringing a spruce tree; it's a wide bed of dry-tolerant perennials with impatiens at the edge. Starting at the back near the house, they died--I thought it was slugs---then a friend told me about the blight. Now those are all gone, but the ones I planted on the opposite side of the yard are fine. I guess it is begonias next year!

• ofionnachta
    10 years ago

I had them ringing a spruce tree; it's a wide bed of dry-tolerant perennials with impatiens at the edge. Starting at the back near the house, they died--I thought it was slugs---then a friend told me about the blight. Now those are all gone, but the ones I planted on the opposite side of the yard are fine. I guess it is begonias next year!

• fieldofflowers
    10 years ago

I started in a garden plot that was never used for flowers that I know of. (or if it had was long before my time.) I got starters from two sources. One was iffy, so i later threw it out. But that wasn't before some of the cuttings got mixed in. I started with roughly 2-3 six packs, took cuttings and multiplied that by about 2. Some of the cuttings died, but most took.

I had awesome luck with all my impatiens. They branched out and filled the area nicely for most of the season. We also had a relatively warm and dry summer. I kept strict on the no watering at night and only watering an hour or two before the sun would reach that spot. I believe that delayed the disease and preserved them from an earlier fate.

But Late August I'd see stunting in a few. Aphids were also a problem. I'd spray with neem oil and water with systemics. The dwarfed ones didn't recover. i pulled them. Everything still kept going.

Mid to late September, I noticed the disease reached another garden area several blocks away. Those impatiens crumbled very fast. I would watch this weekly as it was on my way to the bus stop.

Early October is when it hit my garden. That was when it got more moist and the night temps cooled within the range. They are dying, but since it is the end of the season anyway, I feel I got lucky.

-

But next year I won't be. So this will have to be my first and last year extensively using impatiens. I'll have to either use the NGI or find another colorful substitute for next year and the following. But what? And what can be as cheap as the regular impatins? And now with no more access to a garden center (that I can afford?) Ow. (they closed down because of lack of funds/ lack of customers and extensive debts.) Next year will be a tough year.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH