Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Guineas - sun or shade?

Posted by hool New York (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 15:30

I recently got some New Guinea Impatiens hanging baskets - I have heard differing things about how much sun the New Guineas need. I thought Impatiens in general did better in the shade but heard from a "plant expert" over the weekend that they actually need a lot of sun.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Guineas - sun or shade?

Hool
Most NG Impatiens want shade and will burn in too much sun. Some morning sun is fine as long as it is cool. If you live by the coast then more sun is ok as well.
Now there is a new NG hybrid out call SunPatiens sold by Home Depot this year. These will take full sun all day from what they say as well as heat. I have three I am testing and so far I would give them an 8 out of 10. The flowers seem to bleach out when they get older which is a minus to me. But I am in a very hot climate days are dry and can reach into the 100s, right now we are have a cool period low 90s or slightly higher. For you they should do better. Your humidity is higher and not as hot as me.

o
RE: New Guineas - sun or shade?

Depends where you live, really. They can take full sun, but not in very hot climates. They simply dehydrate way too quickly to handle a full day in the sun.

I have a NG hybrid that is supposed to do well in the sun. Doesn't even come close to what it's supposed to do in the sun. Here in NYC, the summer sun is simply too much for Impatiens-type plants to do well in the sun a whole day.

My Impatiens get about 7hrs. of direct sunlight -- eastern exposure, sunrise to about one -- during the summer months. That's about at the upper limit of tolerance for it. I have two in a 10" pot. They require about a gallon of water a day to deal with the amount of sun they get -- even though they are mulched to 2" deep.

Hope that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here