Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting back for fall growth?

Posted by amare_al_giardino 5 KS (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 17, 06 at 18:04

I read this in a magazine although I can't seem to remember which one and am wondering if anyone has had experience with this? I am in Kansas and we are having 100+ temps this week. Needless to say, it is taking it's toll on my gardens regardless of how much water I provide. The article said that cutting back impatiens now (assuming they are getting leggy and not-so-attractive), will ensure some great fall blooms. It makes sense but I'm not ready to go whacking until I know for sure. They still look pretty good so I'd hate to end their little lives just yet if I still have several months worth of blooms to enjoy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting back for fall growth?

If they still look good then leave them alone. Like the old saying if it aint broke dont fix it. Just enjoy.

o

Pinch back every other one now and in a month pinch the rest. Follow with a good soaking and Miracle Grow

o

Don't cut them all back at once. Start with the really leggy ones and as the plant begins to put out new growth, remove other branches you don't like the appearance of.

I just did the same thing, sort of, here in NYC. Just for a diff't reason... one color was completely crowding out another so it got pruned back.

I find that the most helpful thing to do with them when it's hot is to move them where they get no sunlight at all, make sure they're mulched, and water WELL every night.

Pruning isn't a necessity for these plants. I find that when they get leggy, simply adding Miracle Grow sticks is all they need. Many Impatience varieties also get leggy because that's simply how they naturally grow.

Hope that helps.

o

I think Southern Living had an article about cutting them back for a Fall big hurrah last year. I do cut mine back if they're spilling so far over the paths/walks that I can't get past them and I also pull seed heads here and there right about now. I also do a little pruning to keep cuttings alive over winter inside in late August to mid September (for planting out next Spring.) Mine typically go into high gear in September and are still pumping out the blooms until Halloween if there hasn't been a frost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here