Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hokiejane

My Perennial Impatiens

hokiejane
19 years ago

Hi everyone!

I moved to a new house about five years ago, and in keeping with what I did at my old house, I have an area specifically for impatiens. Now, however, and unlike ANYTHING I've ever seen before, my impatiens have become perennials! None of my friends have seen this before, but they're just casual gardeners like I am.

Is this really unusual to see with impatiens? Was there something I might have done since moving to my new house to have caused this proliferation? They are not growing in the exact spots where I had previously planted the plants, but rather against the house and around the bushes. I've included links to photos below.

Thanks!

Jane

{{gwi:999663}}

{{gwi:999663}}

{{gwi:999663}}{{gwi:999663}}

Comments (9)

• MrImpatiens
    19 years ago

What you have there are babies of last years plants not really the same ones as before. I would guess your winter was fairly mild and the seeds were sheltered by being next to the house. They do look good though.

• hokiejane
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh, ok. That makes sense. Thanks.

They've been coming up for about three years now, and I certainly don't mind. Even though the area doesn't look very "manicured," they are pretty and a nice topic of conversation.

• duane456
    19 years ago

do you have any seed from your plants? I'd love some if you do. I have various seeds to trade or maybe sase? Please look at what I have to trade.
    Duane456

• farmermom2
    19 years ago

My mom has 2 separate impatiens beds which come back year after year. It is amazing. She lives on a bluff in SE TN (some snow in the winter), but one of the beds is wedged where 2 rock wall meet (fairly protected against the elements but does get morning sun) and the other is up against the garage (not as well protected and filtered sun in the afternoon). She has no idea why they keep coming back.

• bon_yelle
    19 years ago

Hi Jane, well those are gorgeous flowers! I guess my pot is not the only one with no flowers, and they are pretty , and healthy. Just no blooms. My Mama planted some from seeds and hers are blooming just fine.
    Here is my pot.
    Bonnie

• Dee1
    19 years ago

Bonnie, I think you forgot to put the link to your picture in. I would love to see it.

Dee
    8>D

• Jen26
    19 years ago

Are the "perennial" impatiens the same color as those you initially planted? Any impatiens I've ever had reseed themselves turned out to be a way different color than the parent plants. From your pictures, the impatiens up against the house look too pretty to be reseeders -- do you think it's possible they've lived through the winter in the shelter of your house wall?

• hokiejane
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I've planted impatiens of all different colors over the past 3 years, and my "perennial" impatiens seem to be reflecting that. I really don't think they've lived through the winter, but you never know. They definitely spread more and more each year, though.

I took some more photos today. I fully expect to wake up some morning and find them growing in my dining room. :)

{{gwi:999669}}

{{gwi:999669}}

{{gwi:999669}}{{gwi:999669}}

• GardeningGGirl
    19 years ago

Oh my, let me tell you about reseeding impatients. I consider them invasive at this point. They reseed. They don't live through the winter.

About 5 or 6 years ago I planted a few beds of impatients in my backyard. My backyard is mostly shaded. Well they exploded!!!! The first few years I thought it was kind of neat. I don't think so anymore. In fact, I was just out there last night pulling some up. They have just about taken over my backyard and my neighbors backyard. In the spots that get a fair amount of sun they bloom very well. In the more shaded areas they don't bloom hardly at all. I think they would have bloomed better if I could have fertilized them more often but they took over such a large area and they get huge!!!! One year I did throw out a lot of osmocote as they were coming up and they did seem to bloom better that year. Anyway, I'm on a mission to get rid of them now. I had one particular spot on the side of my house that I was determined to keep impatient free this year and I've been pretty successful.

I was wondering about the ones that don't flower though. It seems to me that they should quit coming up if they don't produce seeds. How long can impatient seeds lie dormant in the ground. I cannot believe that the amount of impatients I've gotten in the shaded areas are from last years seeds because there were hardly any blooms on them last year.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!