Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dfred_gw

Question about impatien cuttings

dfred
15 years ago

Someone mentioned impatien cuttings in an earlier thread.. I didn't know you could do this with an impatien. Is there anything special I need to do to be successfull at this?

Thanks

Dave

Comments (6)

• tom8olvr
    15 years ago

I've done cuttings with impatiens in the past and had some very good success. I've heard of some starting them in water, which I hae not tried... but I've done them in soil. I wish I had pictures - I'm very visual - but I'll explain what I did:
    1. cut off the tip of an imp - having a good stem and at least two leaves.
    2. dip into water (just the end)
    3. put the end into root hormone (I've heard of people NOT using it, but I have ALWAYS used it and had very good success). It's available at any big store, if you aren't familiar. use liberally and directions are on the package.
    3. put them in a good soiless mix. moist but not wet.
    4. I cover mine with a dome or some clear plastic.
    5. give it a few days - and your cutting will be a small plant! :)

Good luck!

• mokikat
    15 years ago

I used your method of propagating impatiens in your last post, Sunday. I checked them today and they look good. I am going to wait a few more days and pull on them gently and see if they give me some resistance so I can see if they are rooted yet.

• cindra
    15 years ago

I do my cuttings in water. Just snip off about a 4 inch stem, remove any flower buds and place it in water out of sun. They root very easy. I only do with the the doubles cause they are so expensive to buy. Haven't had to buy any for the last 4 years. :-)

• impatient-gardener
    15 years ago

i am a new gardener. i read about propagating impatients. i planted some 2-3" cuttings in a 2" pot, and put them on my front deck. since fall is coming, where should i put my "little propagation plants" for winter. impatient are an annual, so i know they won't take the cold. should i bring them in and put plastic bags over the top of them, do they need to stay warm in winter, be inside, if so where is the best place to put them. i am very new at this. i planted my first garden this year. i also propagated some ice plant. do i keep them watered thru winter? when do i transplant and annual? thanks for help? need precise answers please.

• tom8olvr
    15 years ago

Impatient, did your impatiens take root?? So they're
    GROWING plants now... you can treat them as any other
    plant - bring them into the house without the plastic...
    if it's already taken.

If they're recent cuttings in a 2" pot than I'd keep them
    sheltered - out of sun, may be under plastic, moist not
    wet, etc. I'm NOT the best at cuttings - I've had some
    *serious* disasters,
    so I'm probably overly cautious now... If you don't have
    sucess with your cuttings - there's always saving seed (I
    started a thread here in the impatien & Annual forums
    regardling saving seed.)

Cindra - that's awesome - I just don't have the patience to
    keep annuals going over the winter! Now, do you keep them
    in water all winter and then pot them up in the early
    spring or do you pot them up after they've rooted and then
    keep them in pots all winter?? What's the scoop!! ?? :)

For a few years I was in LOOOVE with the sweet little
    double pink and white impatiens with the white and green
    foliage... I wonder if I have a picture... Hmmmmm.
    NOPE! But I did a few cuttings just to see if I COULD, and
    I did NP, but now I'm not in love with them like I used to -
    they're dwarf-ish and have an awful tendency (FOR ME) to
    drop leaves...

• cindra
    15 years ago

It does take patience tom8olvr but it also gives me a little indoor gardening to do during the winter months.

Here is exactly what I do.

I take 2 or 3 3-4 inch cuttings off my doubles. Pinch out any flower buds and strip leaves from the bottom of the stems so the leaves are not in the water when I place the cuttings in a vase. I set them on top of a cabinet which doesn't get any sun from any window. In about two weeks they have roots.

I then take the cuttings and put them in pots with pro-mix and keep them all going all winter by watering, I don't let them dry out completely cause impatience don't like drying out. I just treat them as a houseplant, they don't get direct sun from any window though.

About March, I start taking more cuttings from those 2 or 3 plants and make more cuttings so that when my planting time comes, (end of May) I can usually have around 30 - 60 cuttings to spread through my beds.

Easiest and cheapest way I know of to have double impatience around my house. :-)

Cindi

Sponsored