Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom8olvr_gw

What the heck is it? Pics

tom8olvr
15 years ago

Went to Northern Maine over the weekend... Found these... they were about 6-8 feet tall and were just beautiful... I'm assuming their an impatien - Aren't they a love?? Does anyone (Mr. Impatien) know what they are?? I'm going to ask my mother to save seed on them.

Comments (10)

• grandmachris
    15 years ago

I had a case of deja vu. We saw impatiens very near to these in appearance in the Soviet Union in late Sept. 1988
    just before frost. They were growing wild where they were
    not wanted and a "volunteer" crew of military folks were busy scything them down. I thought "jewel weed" but in another color. I got a few seeds but was not successful in germinating them. I'd like some for myself.

Chris

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They're really pretty - very tall... and handsome - they
    were wild - or appeared to be...

The 'jewel weed' we have around this area - MA is an orangy-
    red - the flower shape was similar - but these were larger.

I'm interested to see what the heck they are!

• kenandbea
    15 years ago

They are very pretty Impatiens glandulifera. Your photos are just lovely.
    They reseed themselves very readily. I have them return every year in abundance. Each spring I transplant them to where I want them to grow if they are not in the right place. There are always more than are needed to fill that bed so I also pull some out to thin them a bit.
    I really like them too.

Bea

• ashley_minnig
    15 years ago

I don't know if I am wrong , Wrong wrong. But it looks to me that they could be lady's slipper! Hummingbirds Love them!!! I hear they can be very difficult to sow but grow naturally near woods and moist places! This is an old post but I thuoght I would give a guess!

• stellar.bpo
    15 years ago

I thought "jewel weed" but in another color. I got a few seeds but was not successful in germinating them. I'd like some for myself.

Lisa11

• MrImpatiens
    15 years ago

Bea is right they are Impatiens glandulifera and have volunteered them selves in many other countries ie Russia, Canada, Europe and, the US. They are very easy to germinate if you just throw them on the ground and let nature take its course. You can also buy plants from Annie's Annuals.

• extragalactic
    15 years ago

If it is Impatiens glandulifera, then beware. It is classified as a noxious weed in Washington State, and cannot be sold in CT, OR, or WA. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens glandulifera: Washington State Class B Noxious Weed

• voodoobrew
    14 years ago

OK, I've got one for you guys... I just posted a pic on the "what's this?" gallery. I checked Mr. Impatiens' website, and didn't see it. I found it today in Point Reyes, CA. Yes, I took some cuttings and got some seed. The seed pods "exploded", and then curled up. I've never tried to germinate impatiens, help! Here is a pic; I've got more, if needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery flower

• jennywren343
    14 years ago

extragalactic..ur right...the seed needs to be planted...(just strewn) fall before. guess it needs a chilling or freezing feature to germinate

• mlb86
    9 years ago

Voodoobrew your mystery flower looks like a pale form of Impatiens textori to me. Did you have any luck with the seeds?

Sponsored