Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What the heck is it? Pics

Posted by tom8olvr Z5 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 14:50

Went to Northern Maine over the weekend... Found these... they were about 6-8 feet tall and were just beautiful... I'm assuming their an impatien - Aren't they a love?? Does anyone (Mr. Impatien) know what they are?? I'm going to ask my mother to save seed on them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What the heck is it? Pics

I had a case of deja vu. We saw impatiens very near to these in appearance in the Soviet Union in late Sept. 1988
just before frost. They were growing wild where they were
not wanted and a "volunteer" crew of military folks were busy scything them down. I thought "jewel weed" but in another color. I got a few seeds but was not successful in germinating them. I'd like some for myself.

Chris

o

They're really pretty - very tall... and handsome - they
were wild - or appeared to be...

The 'jewel weed' we have around this area - MA is an orangy-
red - the flower shape was similar - but these were larger.

I'm interested to see what the heck they are!

o

They are very pretty Impatiens glandulifera. Your photos are just lovely.
They reseed themselves very readily. I have them return every year in abundance. Each spring I transplant them to where I want them to grow if they are not in the right place. There are always more than are needed to fill that bed so I also pull some out to thin them a bit.
I really like them too.

Bea

o

I don't know if I am wrong , Wrong wrong. But it looks to me that they could be lady's slipper! Hummingbirds Love them!!! I hear they can be very difficult to sow but grow naturally near woods and moist places! This is an old post but I thuoght I would give a guess!

o

I thought "jewel weed" but in another color. I got a few seeds but was not successful in germinating them. I'd like some for myself.

Lisa11

o

Bea is right they are Impatiens glandulifera and have volunteered them selves in many other countries ie Russia, Canada, Europe and, the US. They are very easy to germinate if you just throw them on the ground and let nature take its course. You can also buy plants from Annie's Annuals.

o

If it is Impatiens glandulifera, then beware. It is classified as a noxious weed in Washington State, and cannot be sold in CT, OR, or WA. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens glandulifera: Washington State Class B Noxious Weed

o

OK, I've got one for you guys... I just posted a pic on the "what's this?" gallery. I checked Mr. Impatiens' website, and didn't see it. I found it today in Point Reyes, CA. Yes, I took some cuttings and got some seed. The seed pods "exploded", and then curled up. I've never tried to germinate impatiens, help! Here is a pic; I've got more, if needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery flower

o

extragalactic..ur right...the seed needs to be planted...(just strewn) fall before. guess it needs a chilling or freezing feature to germinate

o

Voodoobrew your mystery flower looks like a pale form of Impatiens textori to me. Did you have any luck with the seeds?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here