Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imissmom

Impatiens niamniamensis, Congo Cockatoo

IMissMom
19 years ago

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some care tips for the this plant.

{{gwi:1000032}}
{{gwi:1000033}}
I ordered it online and rec'd it about the middle of July. It's a bitty thing (maybe 6-7" tall). I've been hard pressed to find much care info on this plant, other than it prefers shade (?) and likes the soil kept moist? (I'm wondering, though...'cause if I give it a really good drink, it seems to make the leaves wither and drop). Anyway, this one has done nothing since I got it, except drop a few wilted leaves. It appears that new leaves are growing out of the stem, but all appears frozen in time. I've tried putting it in front of a bright southern window, as well as in the shade outdoors and it wilts and looks positively miserable. So, I have it inside the sunroom away from any direct sun, but good light. Maybe I don't have it in the right kind of soil? I'm wondering if it needs a more soil-less formula...like peat/bark/perlite?

And what about fertilizer? The few posts I find on this claim it's SO EASY to grow and they have all these wonderful blooms...I'm just hoping to keep it alive! Can someone help?

Thanks

Kathryn

Comments (10)

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    19 years ago

I am by no means an expert, but I have a thought: are you growing it indoors in the air conditioning? If so, it may be suffering from lack of humidity.

• MrImpatiens
    19 years ago

Kathryn
    Impatiens niamniamensis is one of the easyist ones to grow. I like to keep my plants outside during spring summer and fall and take them in for the winter months, which is only 2 1/2 months for me. I use a time release fertilizer and a soil mix called Kellogs patio plus. They seem to respond being some what pot bound but not to much but dont really care for big pot when it is small. If it was in a two inch try a four. I have seen them rot in big pot. In the wild it will grow on trees as well as the ground. This is one of the species that will take hot weather here in my dry climate. I have about 8 different forms of it.

• IMissMom
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for your responses to my post.
    Ispahan: Yes, it's indoors in air conditioning. I can see how it wouldn't like this..and it was part of my reason for moving it outdoors in the shade. It looked so much worse after several hours that I panicked and brought it back in. I will try misting several times/day and maybe place on a tray of rocks to help with humidity.
    MrImpatiens: YES...I keep hearing how EASY it is to grow!
    If you grow yours outside so much of the year, why is mine looking so pathetic after only a few hours outside? Maybe TOO warm (NY summers are typically 85 degrees w/high humidity)?? I have not seen this Kellogs patio plus soil mix you mentioned...is it a special mix that I could replicate? I do grow bananas somewhat successfully...I know they like a very light, well-draining soil. I get the feeling this plant is different in it's needs. The pot it's in may be too big...it came in a teeny 2" thing and is now in an 8". I'll transplant into a 4" as soon as I can figure out what kind of potting soil to use. Can you just tell me if it shud be more on the well-draining side, or a mixture that shud hold moisture? I'm sure I cud find something here to fit the bill.
    Again, thanks for the response.
    Kathryn

• calla_lady
    19 years ago

Hi Kathryn,
    my first thought was that you might need a potting mix that was quicker draining. I have seen the condition that you describe when they are planted in a mix that is too heavy (dense) - seems like they hold water just a bit too long. When I water I like to see the water run through the mix at a good rate - not puddle of the surface. I lighten up my potting mixes with a bit perlite or lava rock. I would much rather have to water more often than risk easily over-watering.
    BTW - sometimes when a plant is considered easy to grow you can still have a hard time with it if something is amiss (such as a water issue). The good news is that I. niamniamensis has a pretty strong will for staying alive while you figure out what is bugging it. Believe me when I say that I have tested the boundries with mine, lol...
    Alicia :o)

• twerper
    18 years ago

Hi Katherine, Can you tell me where you got your cockatoo from? I've been searching like what seems forever to buy one and haven't been lucky yet
    twerper

• holly_c
    18 years ago

I just ordered and received three of them from Kartuz nursery. They are (like everything I order from Kartuz) very healthy. Two of the three were in bud upon arrival and are now blooming (I'm SO excited). As for the temperature they prefer... I am very, very hot and humid here so it will be the supreme test for them this summer.

• robynstanfield_gmail_com
    13 years ago

hi i have just bought a few cuttings of congo cockatoo of a woman who was very helpful on trade me i have had this plant once or twice many yeas ago without success until i just found out they prefer shade i have always been very fascinated with this plant they are so pretty and beautiful flowers they aren"t easy to buy here in new zealand garden centres i have a few good solid stemmed cuttings which i have put into large pots as the roots need plenty of space so now i am finding out a lot more info than what i used to know about them i am keeping my fingers crossed they will survive so far they are all lovely and healthy hopefully they stay that way

• Keith Chambers
    3 years ago

best to grow from seed as it is short lived i e a few years do not over water use rain water if not use tap water that has been left to stand for a day or two in same place as plants

• Yu-Hsing Kao
    2 years ago

Hi there, I have a congo cockatoo and i started to notice tiny droplets of clear sap on some of the stems. What is the cause of this and if its caused by a pest does anyone know how to treat it? Thanks in advance.

• Cath Gray
    last year
    last modified: last year

Most species of impatiens produce sugar granules along the leaf stems. Nothing sinister, it's a natural plant process

Sponsored