Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

What can you tell me about I. tinctoria?

Hey all:

I just purchased this one from Annie's. What size of pot does it need for successful gorwth and flowering? Also, does it need to go dormant if pot grown or can it be kept growing all year long?

Thanks in advance,

Ispahan

Comments (9)

• MrImpatiens
    19 years ago

Ispahan
    Impatiens tinctoria is for Africa is one of the hardier Impatiens though you maybe just a little to cold for it. I heard in the ground it is hardy to 1 F with a little mulch but I wont sware to it. In its native land it can be evergreen and will start walking acrossed the soil. I get really hot here where I live and it doesnt seem to care for that. Watch for mites. It grows very tall and has nice smelling flowers. It is very common in England and it was introduced here my me via Annies this year or last. I dont know of any other places that sells it but Annies.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, Mr. Impatiens. Yes, I did obtain my plant from Annie's, and I have several other Impatiens species now on my "wish list."

I expected that I. tinctoria would not be entirely hardy here in Chicago outdoors, but could it be successfully potgrown indoors?

• MrImpatiens
    19 years ago

I have never tried bringing them into the house for the winter. You could give it a try but it may not like the dry air inside the house during winter. Just give it a really yummy soil mix I use Kellogs patio plus it worked well. If you have a cool garage with a sunny window that may help.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I try to keep my house a little on the humid side during the winter, otherwise some of my more exotic tropicals and orchids would languish, so I am not really worried about the impatiens not liking the dry air. This will be my first adventure with species impatiens, and I can't wait to see how it turns out :-)

In case spider mites attack, what do you recommend for control: neem, Avid, or something else?

• MrImpatiens
    19 years ago

I would recommend Avid. This seems to work the best. It doesnt bother the impatiens as much as neem. Neem can really knock them down sometimes kill them. Impatiens dont like oil based sprays. I recently tried Avid and it didnt harm the plants at all.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Interesting information about neem oil. Do you think it could still be used as a soil drench to be taken up by the plant systemically? Many years ago I tried spraying some impatiens infested with cyclamen mites with Cygon and the poor things dried up to a crisp within a week. I never tried watering a little bit in. Would you know if impatiens respond well to systemics? Almost all of the "organic" pesticides (i.e., insecticidal soaps) available in garden centers say "Do not spray on impatiens" in small print!

Per your instructions on the Yahoo group, I looked up your photo album. Wow! Will any of these species ever be introduced?

• MrImpatiens
    19 years ago

I think as a soil drench it should be fine they just dont like it on the leaves. They also do well with Marathon (not Malathon)this is a systemic that you put on the soil surface. It works well with other sucking incects not so great with mites though.
    As to the other species I am tring to do what I can. Not all of those pics are mine sadly. Right now my collection stand at about 112 or so species.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    Original Author
    19 years ago

112 species? That is truly impressive! I would love to obtain the yellow species that looks like an oncidium orchid someday. Any plans to release that one in the near future?

• Blind_Aquilegia
    19 years ago

I am very interested in I. Tinctoria because I collect fragrant plants. I am also zone 5b (but I am 3 to 4 hrs south of Chicago and I like to kid myself that I am really zone 6, or at least 5c). So, I have some questions Â

First, could you guys give me a careful description of tinctoria. The "blind" in Blind Aquilegia is for real, so I'd prefer the 10,00 words over any picture. (Don't panic. I don't expect 10,000 words!) I know it can grow up to 39" -7', and that the flowers are white w/ crimson center. Can you describe the size of flower, leaf? What is the overall "look" of the plant.

If it's any help, I currently have 3 types of impatiens outside  but since DH isn't awake I can't go out and read the lables. One is from Africa with clusters of small golden yellow flowers, sort of on branches  stems  I have two of these in pots. Then I have 2 potted "New Guineas". The leaves are somewhat broader and the flowers are large, and somewhat similar to the "garden variety" impatiens.
    Then I have my old buddies -- a rich, gorgeous bed of the old standbys. I love these because it is possible to find and feel the flowers with their very distinctive "buttons" in the center. They are, by the way, a fun plant for the visually impaired.

My second question has to do with the likelihood of I. Tinctoria liking (and possibly surviving in) a particular location. East side of house, close to house and protected on 3 sides, my "warm" spot for overwintering some of my pots. It's also the area that catches first warmth of spring. The soil has been amended, and is rich, organic, and fairly well drained. The potted New Guineas & the African variety have loved this location.

Now, if that's an o.k. spot  when would it be best to try and establish I. Tinctoria? I notice that Annie's has them available now, but would it be better to wait til spring?

Oh, just so you know, I currently have the worst house for bringing plants inside. No basement, no rooms that don't dry out to a crisp. No windows with good light exposure. I feel like a success with the plants outside  but a miserable failure when it comes to overwintering.

Thanks much Â
    BA

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living