Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_knees_il

how many plants can be propagated from one

dirty_knees_il
18 years ago

I recently found a garden center with impatiens at give away prices, which started me thinking of next year... I would like to try to propigate them by cuttings ,and I'm wondering how many I should buy. How many plants could I get from each plant over the course of the winter? I've never over wintered plants before but thanks to all the great postings from you all I'ld like to try. Any differences between New Guinee and regular? Any tips would be appreciated!!! Thank You

Comments (4)

• paulinep
    18 years ago

Lots and lots and lots, depends on how many times you pinch back and how much time you have.

Maybe we should have a contest and see how many plants can come from one "mother plant"
    Pauline

• nberg7
    18 years ago

New Guineas are more difficult to propagate for me, using the same things I do for the others, but that's just me. I can usually get 100 percent rooted, but with New Guinea that number is down by a third at least. In Fall, I only take mostly top cuttings for best results overall.

Last year in mid-October I started my serious cuttings for this season, and out of the below plants I started about 250 new babies. Could have done much more, but I seriously started getting sick of the chore! Originally, the multi-colored planting consisted of 12 total small plants, and the whites consisted of five FYI. This year I'll do about 500 plus for a wedding to be staged in my yard, mostly white cuttings. I keep them in an indoor greenhouse set up-lights, heating and water only when the soil feels dry. Good luck with your adventure! It's so much fun!

{{gwi:1000067}}

{{gwi:1000068}}

• dirty_knees_il
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much, for the info and pictures!!! I bought three New Guineas, and was hoping to get 10 flats by spring. Maybe I should get a few more... I was thinking of setting up a place in my basement with lights and humidifier enclosed in plastic. I hope to get so many I get sick of it too. I wonder if rooting hormone would help the success rate? I'll let you know in spring. Thanks again.

• corgicorner
    18 years ago

You did not mention what kind of "soil" you were using. I would suggest that you NOT use garden soil all by itself. I would mix perlite, vermiculite, and sand with the soil. Furthermore, I would sterilize the mixture in maybe 3 quart lots, bring to 185 degrees, and let cool before using. You should prevent any damping off by doing so. Even if you are using some commercial mixture you should sterilize the mixture. It's worth the time it takes. If you have any questions you may write me direct. Good Luck!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?