Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What could cause rotting even in a drought?

Posted by bevinga 7 NW GA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 20:58

Hi,
I've got a couple of beds of impatiens, flanking the entrance to my back deck. On one side, I have found four or five plants where the branching stems have rotted off the middle stem, one by one until the whole plant dies.

Where these plants are dying, I find mushrooms growing. They are not all over the area, but only where these plants have died. Can mushrooms kill impatiens?

We've had a horrific drought at the beginning of the summer, with a two-week reprieve during the first two or three weeks of July, then back to the dreaded drought. We've also had above 100 degree temps, along with above 100 degree heat indexes for several days in a row with only a day or two that didn't reach those highs in between.

I've watered on my watering days, three days a week, but it hasn't helped those plants. On the other side of the entrance, the plants are still gorgeous!

What could be causing this?

Here's my impatiens. The side that is shown well is the one that does not have the dying plants:

IMG_6226

Thanks for any help!
Beverly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What could cause rotting even in a drought?

I'm in TN and we're still in a serious drought with above normal heat. My impatiens have the same problem. Most of them either started rotting at the soil line or part way up the stems... then collapsed. The geraniums did the same thing. We lost about 1/2 of them with the same disease.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here