Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I give it up?

Posted by shequit 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 1, 09 at 0:22

I planted lots of impatiens in pots this Spring. They were very healthy plants. We are over-run with deer so in my elder years, I am doing only pots on decks cause the deer eat all else - even come to the decks at times!

However, the plants have not produced very many blooms and I am fed up. I have lots of shade, I have planted this latest batch in MiracloGro with fertilizer - lots of work to dump out all of the old many pots (my aching back) and $$ to replace the dirt. No yellow leaves, just not a lot of blooms. I am so frustrated.

Can it be the lack of sun?

Begonis, coleus, hostas, coral bells, packy's do well. Planted some lily turf next to my pond and they continue to bloom. But, the impatiens....

Thank you for letting me vent but as much as I love impatiens, I am about to give up with them.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I give it up?

From what I understand you will get lots of leaves and not many flowers if the soil is too fertile. Once they have sucked up the fertilizers they should start blooming better.

o

yes, do not fertilize impatiens. have been growing them in 8 window boxes for 5 years. the only thing they need is sunlight to grow. best of luck....jamie

o

• Posted by patann Z5 AnnArborMI (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 26, 09 at 0:33

jamie, when you say sunlight, do you mean the New Guinea impatients specifically?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here