Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
impatiens mystery

Posted by hispoesis none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 19:17

I have had masses of impatiens all summer. Every year they just spring up, "volunteers" in all colors. Suddenly about two weeks ago, I only have bare stems with a few leaves at the top and here and there a single blossom! Huge plants are only bare stems! What is most odd is that I can see no fallen leaves! What happened to them? Could it be downy mildew (read about on this Forum). We have have had a wet, humid Spring. I live in Central Virginia.

Thanks very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: impatiens mystery

Sounds like what happened to mine!!I live in Portsmouth VA.next to Norfolk VA.I hope mine did this because of the wet soil and not mildew!See my post on drowning impatiens...

o

Thanks so much, Violetvamp. It's nice to know my experience is not unique! Where do I find your post on drowning impatiens. I am new to this site.
Thanks.

o

Hispoesis,My post titled "Drowning Impatiens" is on the Forum a few posts above yours.I went out to look and I did find some downy mildew on some potted impatiens (which are also now dying)!!There is a good article on the post on this forum titled "Sick Impatiences"(spelling is wrong).Scroll down and read the comments and you will see one with a link called "Downy mildew".Click on that and it takes you to an informative article on the impatiens problem!!By the way what does "hispoesis" mean?

o

I haven't seen a healthy looking impatiens (walleriana) plant in my area for a couple months. Downy mildew appears to be pretty widespread.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 17:26

That's awful about the disease epidemic of downy mildew.

I've read where incorporating vermicompost into the potting medium helps boost immunity to several plant diseases. I wonder if it would be effective against this disease?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here