Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patiencedonkey

Impatiens glandulifera ?

PatienceDonkey
19 years ago

Hello, I am looking for this plant- what a beauty!!

Where would I find it, or maybe the seeds? Are the seeds easy to germinate?

I am adding a link to show a picture of the plant I think is so gorgeous!

Thanks

Lilly

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (5)

• MrImpatiens
    19 years ago

Lilly
    Annies Annuals carries it but it is a temperate plant and likes to have a cold spell to sprout from my experence. Its barely survives for me sometimes but this is beacause of the heat. I get seed but its pretty much died out in my garden. It grows very well in the San Francisco Bay area but they are coastal. If you live in an area with cool summers it should do well. The SF bay area is a Zone 10. With your Zone you could grow any Impatiens species you want as long as your summers are cool. Im sure all of the ones that Annies sells or even Kartuz's greenhouses would live all year long. If you take a look at my profile you will see a link with pics of close to 300 different species. Dont stop with glandulifera. Wow you maybe able to do some hybridizing.

• PatienceDonkey
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello Mr. I- I think I am actually a zone 10, Anaheim, Disneyland lol. Summer here is usually very comfortable, except for a few weeks when it is quite hot. Even during the summer we sleep covered. Except for a few weeks lol. I think this plant is so gorgeous, looks like little orchid flowers all over it.

I just barely started being interested in Impatiens, have to admit I usually walk right past them, as they look like plants that I could kill easily lol. I bought a distressed NG for 75% off, and took it home, and its growing and flowering! So I went and bought some more. And some more. They are all doing great and they are lovely. I have some NG, some I. wallerianas and some double impatiens, not sure of the botanical name of those. They are all growing like weeds, even through that terrible heat we had a few weeks ago. I have read that Impatiens are difficult to grow from seed, and I am afraid of seeds. I have a fear of seeds. Yup, hard to believe I know! but its true. Except I planted some Scarlet Runner Bean seeds, and some Purple Hyacinth Bean seeds and they have swallowed the house! So now I'm ready for any ol' seeds! hehe

So are Impatiens hard to grow from seed? Any pointers, especially regarding these I. glandulifera's? I appreciate all the help you are willing to give!

Thanks
    Lilly

• MrImpatiens
    19 years ago

Lilly
    Glandulifera is very easy from seed. Just throw it on the ground and next year it should come up. Even in Zone 10 you can grow many many species all year long. I cant offer any seed because my plants died out and the ones at Strybing did the same but those set lots of seeds. I save a couple for myself but I have already put them in the garden.

• nlin0273
    19 years ago

I'm interested in growing some. I saw it on tv on last week's episode of Law and Order:SVU. It's so beautiful I just have to try and grow some.

• ocollin
    14 years ago

What about sowing in zone 4a

Sponsored