Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trailer_gal

arguta

trailer_gal
14 years ago

Does anyone know if the arguta is a late summer/fall blooming impatiens. It is nearly time for me to start thinking of bringing my impatiens in for the winter. The arguta are so sprawling that I wouldn't have room for them without trimming them back. The upright ones seem to be sprawling, too. There are 18 plants. The longest is 24 inches. As I was cutting them back, I noticed most of them had buds. I hated to cut them back but I had to. I hardly got any blooms this summer, but if I had left all these branches on I would have had a lot of blooms this fall. Now I am really in trouble because I saved all those cuttings in water.

Thanks for any information about bloom time and also any advice for the future about how to keep these plants more neat and not so sprawling.

Comments (8)

• MrImpatiens
    14 years ago

Impatiens arguta blooms all the time for me in cooler weather. Most Impatiens species will stop when it gets hot. Brighter light should help keep the upright ones standing but the sprawling one just does that. Since you will have so many cuttings started you could experiment and try them in the ground during the winter. I would be really curious to see if they would survive for you. But wait till next year.

• vickivaughan
    14 years ago

I am looking for arguta- have lots of parrot impatients to trade

Here is a link that might be useful: vicki@flatrockkoi.com

• steve_nj
    14 years ago

I. arguta is in it's second or third winter in the ground, with only nominal mulch. It's in a rich, composty soil. However, the ground doesn't freeze deeply here, especially with mulch. These pics were taken before the late summer proliferation and flowering.

{{gwi:1000172}}

• vickivaughan
    14 years ago

Steve
    Your plants look great. Any possibility of you seling me some? I also hav lots ofparrot impatiens or japnese maples to trade if you are interested
    vicki
    vicki@flatrockoi.com

• trailer_gal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vicki
    My Arguta's don't look as good as Steve's, but they are surviving down in the cellar. I checked on them today. When weather warms up a bit I could send you a few.
    Probably too cold here right now to mail them out.
    What are the temperature ranges where you live?

• vickivaughan
    14 years ago

Thank you for your kind offer- I live in Ga and it is too cold to ship right now. I have parrot impatient if you like. Bonsai is another hobby of mine and I have lots of starter plants if you are interested esp japanese maples

• Ralph Whisnant
    14 years ago

Vicki, did you ever get any I. arguta? I noticed today that my arguta are putting on new growth. I have them in a large pot that I am getting ready to divide, so I could send you several pieces in exchange for some Parrot Impatiens. How far south of Athens are you? We travel through Commerce on the way to Chattanooga to visit our grandkids.

• lophoboy
    14 years ago

Interested in tuberous Impatiens (arguta(?)etc.), Have various cuttings of cacti available to trade...(lot's of Schick hybrids), also Agave pups etc...dunno if this is the "correct" area to post request like this
    Thanks