Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spotted impatiens balsamina

Posted by trailer_gal z4 ND (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 23, 09 at 21:15

In March of 2008 I ordered seed from Ebay. The were called spotted balsamina. Started them inside and planted them out in the spring and they were very interesting. There were some with white spots on pink. Also some with white spots on coral. They reseeded themselves and came up really thick this year. Most won't bloom because they are only a few inches tall. Some I dug up maybe 3 weeks ago and put them in pots, and they are now blooming. Some are light pink, some are kind of purple, and some are coral and none have spots. If they go to seed is there a chance that the spots will be on any of the next generation of plants. The person that I bought the seed from is no longer on Ebay otherwise I would like to ask her what experience she had with them. She sold a lot of the seeds.
Does anyone know why the impatiens would only have one generation of spots? How did she make them do that?
Thanks for any information.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spotted impatiens balsamina

Its not what she did its just natural for them. I cant tell you for sure why they dont have spots but it could be cultural. Perhaps the soil is too fertile or not enough. I think they may show their spots yet and the seed will have them as well. These cultivars have been around for years and are pass along plants since you cant find them in the trade anymore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here