Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering double impatiens

Posted by tombob z6IL (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 24, 06 at 21:33

Forgive my ignorance, but can double impatiens be overwintered. My wife has rasied some beatiful specimens and I hate to see them killed by the frost.

I don't suppose they can be dug and dried, similar to geraniums?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering double impatiens

Yes, you can dig them up, put them in a pot, find a spot in the house where it is bright but not too hot keep them watered and they will bloom, OR you can take cuttings, root in water and start new plants that you can nurture during the winter then plant outside. You CAN't dry like geraniums though, when dry, this plant is dead. You can actually have flowers indoors all winter from bringing Impatiens indoors.
Pauline

o

Re cuttings in water: How long should a cutting be? Do I strip off most of the leaves? Normally, how long does it take to see roots? Thanks for the advice.

o

I would like to consider this topic myself. However, when removing from soil, is it necessary to remove the entire root system? Some of these roots are really imbedded in the ground. I would imagine leaving the roots might chance some disease???? Please advise

o

I overwinter geraniums by drying and pottting after they go dormant. I do someting similar with impatiens. After the first frost, but before the ground freezes, I dig up impatiens roots. I then shake off the soil and plant inside under fluorescent lights. As the new growth develops, I pick off dead parts from the previous growth to prevent mold. This has worked well for me. (Seedlings will also grow and I pot these as well.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here