Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens mirabilis

Posted by ray_ratliff z10 South Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 21, 08 at 23:47

I am not sure if I am placing this query into the correct forum. I bought this funky plant from a recent aroid show here in Miami. A lot of people were excited to see them offered so, like a sheep, I followed the herd and grabbed one before they were gone. This is a caudiciform from the impatiens family. I am told to treat it like a desert rose with, but to provide it more shade.

So here are my questions:

1. Do you have this plant, have you known anyone that has grown this plant? How do you/ they grow it?

2. If you have grown it, did you try to pollinate it? Did you use a small brush or did you use another technique?

3. If you have pollinated it, what technique worked best for germinating the seeds?

4. If this is the wrong forum for this post, where would you suggest that I repost it?

Thank you for any feedback you might be able to provide!

-Ray-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens mirabilis

Ray
Impatiens mirabilis is a really neat Impatiens. It is one of the few low land Impatiens meaning it likes heat and humidity.
It comes mostly form Thailand and gets a lot of rain but grows in lime stone cliffs. So give it a vary gritty soil with some lime stone chips and organic matter. Pot it up small and let it dry out some. To pollinate it just dab some pollen on your finger or brush and place it at the tip of another flower that has dropped the pollen cap. The seed pod will swell and look like a football and be careful because, when ripe, they will explode. The seed should look dark brown and not pale. Place the seed on the surface of a similar mix and they should sprout. You may want to cover the pot with plastic wrap and watch out for snails and slugs. I have lost several species because of them at the seedling stage.

o
RE: Impatiens mirabilis

• Posted by oror Z11 (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 29, 08 at 13:01

There are several species in this complex currently under review, all of them tuberous species from Thailand or N. Malaysia. I am growing and blooming some of them and have lost several through rot which occurs very unexpectedly. A friend who grow this to tree size advised that they should be sprayed with different fungicides in rotational basis. My experience also shows that their roots will reach deep down and out of the pot onto the ground whereupon they do not like to be moved, pot and all, as this has caused the sudden rot of 2 of my plants. All this of course depends on your growing environment - how humid and such.
Cheers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here