Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenandbea

cuttings before the frost

kenandbea
16 years ago

Is anyone else taking cuttings before the frosts come our way? That is for the folks who live in the frosty areas:)

I have been taking lots of cuttings as I see no point in letting the frost have it's way when I could enjoy them indoors. This includes the ones that are hardy for my area.

Please tell me I am not the only addictedz:)

Bea

Comments (8)

• MrImpatiens
    16 years ago

For your cuttings inside try to keep up with a soap and alcohol spray this will keep many pests down. I have been hearing of Neem Tea, not Neem oil, as being affective against them. Impatiens dont really like Neem oil so I would stay away from it. I have yet to try this though. You just soak the leaves in water like a normal tea and spray.

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Excellent reminder... those pesty mites can get carried away and one forgets about them until you can see them:)
    You are right about neem oil... do not use it on impatiens. I did that last year and my plants lost their leaves. They were very sad looking until they grew new ones. neem oil works great on many other plants though so I still use it just not on impatiens.

Thanks Derick
    Bea

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

I take cuttings of my favorite colors from the best shaped plants. Some are really worth saving and enjoying all winter in my GH. :) Come spring they go back outside.

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

greenhouser.....Clever idea looking for shape. Some really look better than others don't they.
    What are your favorite colors and are you growing any of the specie types.
    Nice to meet you.

Bea

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

Nice to meet you as well. :-) The only unusual one I have is a yellow flowered one with a pinkish blush in the bloom's throat. The rest are those I bought locally or from their seeds that fell and sprouted. The species types are not available here and I don't care to order sight unseen.

My favorites are the deep rich colors and the doubles. I do have some doubles including one with white and green variegated leaves. I don't care for the pale colors or those with poor sprawly or too upright shapes. I like the nicely rounded ones that stand on their own.

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ohh ahhh that yellow one sounds lovely. I bet it is pretty. Do you have any photo's would love to see it. I agree with you I especially like the deeper colors. Haven't seen many of the varigated ones here so you are lucky to find them there or the doubles for that matter.
    Next year I would like to do some moss balls full of impatiens. Besides the cuttings I have taken I am going to try some of the various ones by seed.Any recomendations on which ones I should try for good shape and color?
    I have only seen one specie type here and that is all. It was the African Congo and I snagged it as soon as i saw it. I am slowly working at getting a few of these when ever I can find them.

Bea

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

I don't have pics of the yellow ones but can take some this week. Moss-balls dry out rapidly and as you know Impatiens love moisture. Plan to water them several times a day.

With seeds you never know what you'll get. That's why I like to take cutting from plants with good color and shape. I can't really recommend any particular Impatiens since I buy new ones every year and they don't always come with tags. Then I find and keep seedlings.... plus the cuttings. I have no idea what I have anymore. :)

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sure you do... You have beautiful impatiens!

I too am worried about the moss balls especially when we go on holidays. I am hoping that next spring we will look into an auto drip system for all the pots I have on the decks.
    Bea