Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens toxicity ? and growing in a terrarium

Posted by bonobott (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 3, 08 at 4:41

Hello to all,

I am fond of botanic impatiens and reptiles
I plan on combining both by growing different species of impatiens (hians, mackeyana / claeri, bicaudata, morsei, niamniamensis plus anyother one I can get my hands on) in a terrarium that would also host chameleons.
Though chameleons are normally insect-eaters, they can occasionnaly munch on a plant leaf.
So I'm wondering whether impatiens are toxic to animals.
My other question regards lighting : I plan on using a 150w HQI/MH lamp to light the terrarium.
Do you think it will cover my plants needs ?
Last question : ambient humidity in a chameleon terrarium needs to be pretty high ; would this be ok for my plants too ? (I think so but would rather have it confirmed)
Thanks in advance for your replies
Cheers

Sb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens toxicity ? and growing in a terrarium

Sb

It sounds good to me. Impatiens are not toxic plants but I heard one time they were for rabbits. You can eat the plants yourself but I dont think they will by very tasty. Impatiens will like the humidity as long as it is really hot ideal temps would be around 75-78f. Impatiens come mostly from montaine forests in tropical areas but the ones you mentioned seem to take heat a little more then most. Some of the those are fairly large species so you will need a large enclosure. The lighting I really couldnt tell you as I dont grow mine under lights but it sounds good. If they stretch that diffidently means its not bright enough.

o

Thaks a lot for your reply.
You are one of the few persons who, through your website, inadvertently made me dive into the world of those wonderful plants.
It started out when I first saw a niamniamensis long time ago but at that time I hadn't been able to get it.
Then 2 years ago I came accross another one, bought it, started to document about this family of plants and discovered the magnificent species it covers.
Anyway, let me stop the rambling.
Thanks

Sb

o

Sb

That is good to hear. It's nice to hear that the web site is working well.
Good growing
Derick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here